A welcome message to all Forum Newbies

• Hi,

Each day we have a lot new users being registered.

Most of the times, the new user posting a performance problem and query related problem would post which is not complete and most of the time we have been asking to follow so and so link for posting performance problems or another article about forum etiquettes about posting query related questions.

Rather than we doing this for at least 20 posts daily, I suggest can we have a welcome message to the Newbies from Administrator / Moderator with a brief introduction about how to post performance related and query related questions.

With that every new user would have to read this once before they start teasing us with their teasers.

What do you guys say ??

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• It is a nice idea. One problem is that, even though I scroll to the end of the text, or click that I have read it - did I really read and understand it?

It wouldn't hurt to put something out there. I do think though that the message will only curb the behavior slightly for a short time.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Agree to it, if required, we can have a timed session on that page, make the user to stay on that page for a while like 2-3 mins before proceeding further, may be that should force the user to read.

SInce it will be a one time process for any new user, it should be ok also, they should not complain about it, rather than we look at lengthy post that no head and tail only junk data and finally scratch our head and post the link to read the articles fore better responses.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Bru Medishetty (11/25/2009)

What do you guys say ??

Far from the first time it's been suggested. Some people would read it, but I suspect those would be the kind of users who would post well anyway. Someone in a rush who wants their question answered NOW will likely scroll to the bottom, click the box and not read a thing. Same as software EULA. How many people read over those in detail before clicking 'I agree'?

Agree to it, if required, we can have a timed session on that page, make the user to stay on that page for a while like 2-3 mins before proceeding further, may be that should force the user to read.

More likely it'll make them close the browser window in anger and go somewhere else. I know a page that forced me to stare at it for 2 minutes would do that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ultimately it is the users answering the questions, who needs to increase patience and try to crack the puzzles posted by the impatient new beees 😉

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• It's a great idea and it's been suggested many times. But, just like a EULA, how do you guarantee that a newbie will actually read it never mind follow it? Shoot... we can't even get some people with 400 posts to "follow the rules".

What some of us have done is what I've done in my signature line below. Take a look-see.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Heh... wow... people jumped on that post like white on rice... there' weren't any posts between the original and mine when I first looked at the post. Folks even used the same example of EULA.

Good to see that great minds think alike. 😛

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (11/25/2009)

Good to see that great minds think alike. 😛

Thanks Jeff:cool:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• You can't force someone to sit on a page for 2 minutes. None of us would do it, and we would never come back. You can't force people to read or pay attention.

It's not really worth the effort, and it penalizes everyone for the relatively few people that don't have good etiquette. I'd rather just post a note to them that there are better ways to ask questions.

• Agreed Steve.

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/25/2009)

You can't force people to read or pay attention.

Heh... you can if there're some tight ropes and high velocity pork involved. 😉

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply