A/A Question

• How does/could SQL cope with extented stored procedures which are installed on one node of a A/A cluster?

Steven

• The fact it is A/A shouldn't effect the way the extSP works. Do you have a specific problem with a extSP on an A/A cluster?

Wes

• No I don't have a problem at the moment. I am about to install a test A/A cluster with different db's on each node.

Hence I started wondering about if a XSP was installed on Node A and that node went down. That instance would then run on Node B etc.

Steven

• It shouldn't effect you at all. The cluster simply rolls another seprate instance of SQL onto the current up node if there is a failure. I haven't seen any problems in my current A/A setup with sp's of any sort.

Wes

• If you have added extended stored procedures, then you might have an issue if it is not installed on Node B. Keep in mind that there is a real copy of SQL running here. Not sure if you can add an xsp to the clustered SQL or you add it to an individual node. For SPs, you have to install these separately.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• One for me to test I think.

I presume that if the extended stored procedure is placed on one of the shared drives, that when the instance changes modes it should still be able to access the dll

Steven

• If you have an Active/Active cluster of SQL 2000 then you have 2 instances of SQL 2000 running on 2 hardware nodes.

Each Instance is like a separate SQL 2000 install. It just happens to be running on hardware in a configuration allowing failover if one of the machines fails.

If a machine fails, the SQL instance that was running on it will failover to the other machine. i.e. you will have the same 2 instances of SQL running but on one machine.

Your extended stored procedures on instance one is still available.

Incidentally if you want to share objects between the two instances of SQL, you need to link the instances to each other just as you would a remote SQL Server.

• Thanks,

After playing I have worked things out in my head etc.

Steven

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply