Ability to EDIT a post is timed.

• The ability to edit a post simply disappears after a very short time.  It sometimes takes months or more to realize that a mistake has been made and that a post needs to be edited (improved or change the tone based on new knowledge 😉 )

Please make it so that there is no time limit for editing posts.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I noted some issues with editing posts here:

Editing a post (or maybe editing more than once) sometimes deletes the post

To summarize what I found:

1. Ability to edit appears to be limited to 5 minutes
    2. After 5 minutes, "edit" link is missing, but you can still edit by adding "/edit" to the end of the post URL (at least it worked the 1 time I tried it, might not work in all cases and/or might be "fixed" at some point)
    3. <span style="color: #ff0000;">BEWARE OF EDITING!!!! </span>Copy and paste the content into a desktop editor so that you can paste it back into a new post if the post you are editing falls into a bad state. I have had that happen several times already. And even if you paste the content back into the post that comes back with an empty editor upon "saving", the post containing the corrected / pasted content will no longer be visible in any list (not in the forum topic list, nor in your "topics started" list in your profile), though it will still be accessible if you go directly to the URL (so it is not actually deleted, just in a bad state).

SQL#https://SQLsharp.com/ ( SQLCLR library ofover 340 Functions and Procedures)
    Sql Quantum Lifthttps://SqlQuantumLift.com/ ( company )
    Sql Quantum Leaphttps://SqlQuantumLeap.com/ ( blog )
    Info sitesCollations     •     Module Signing     •     SQLCLR

• I tried your /EDIT hack (good idea, BTW) but it didn't work for me.  In any case, it should be fixed.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Agreed, it should be fixed.

Still, did you try "/edit" or "/EDIT" (as shown in your reply)? It appears to be case-sensitive. Try again by adding "/edit/", exactly as shown between the quotes (i.e. starting and ending with a forward slash, and all lowercase).

SQL#https://SQLsharp.com/ ( SQLCLR library ofover 340 Functions and Procedures)
    Sql Quantum Lifthttps://SqlQuantumLift.com/ ( company )
    Sql Quantum Leaphttps://SqlQuantumLeap.com/ ( blog )
    Info sitesCollations     •     Module Signing     •     SQLCLR

• I've changed it to the upper bound of the software, so you now have 190 years to edit posts.

• Dave Convery wrote:

I've changed it to the upper bound of the software, so you now have 190 years to edit posts.

Awesome.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks, Dave.

BTW... I hope you live to be 190 and I hope the last voice your hear is.... MINE! 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Dave Convery wrote:

I've changed it to the upper bound of the software, so you now have 190 years to edit posts.

Awesome.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks, Dave.   BTW... I hope you live to be 190 and I hope the last voice your hear is.... MINE! 😀

The question then is, if Dave is 190, how old do you have to live to for him to hear your voice? 😉

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

Jeff Moden wrote:

Dave Convery wrote:

Awesome.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks, Dave.   BTW... I hope you live to be 190 and I hope the last voice your hear is.... MINE! 😀

The question then is, if Dave is 190, how old do you have to live to for him to hear your voice? 😉

Heh... MUCH longer than is likely but a lot less than I'd like to. 😀

And, it appears that the ability to EDIT after a time now works!  Thank you very much!

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Cool. It appears that the ability to EDIT after a time now works!  Thank you very much!

The 190 year time limit is a bit difficult to test though. 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply