About to add some more RAM - things to consider?

• We are about to add some more RAM to our main SQL 2000 Server (Enterprise Edition), upgrading it from 2GB to 3GB.

Is there anything I need to bare in mind? Will the memory be addressible? Or will I need to make some OS adjustments?

Thanks

• Take care of  boot.ini switches /3 GB

/3gb. Lets user-mode applications access 3GB of memory instead of the usual 2GB that NT allocates to user-mode applications. This switch is available only on NT Server 4.0, Enterprise Edition, Service Pack 3 (SP3). The boot.ini switch /3GB needs to be added in order to make 3 GB available for user mode applications

Helen
    --------------------------------
    Are you a born again. He is Jehova Jirah unto me

• If you are running W2000 or W2003 enterprise edition, use the /3GB switch in boot.ini.  This will restrict Windows to using 1GB, leaving 2GB for SQL and other applications on the box.

If you are using standard edition, the /3GB syntax is supported but does nothing.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Great, thanks a lot!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply