Accept Failure

• Among many places, you can find it here.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Wayne West (6/3/2016)

Among many places, you can find it here.

many thanks

• We do not start with failure in mind because then we will fail but we handle failures as they come and don't fall into a dark pit of self pity. We simply handle the failures and continue until at last we taste success and victory!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I am happy because I choose to be happy.
    I just love my job!!!

• Ed Klein-385786 (6/3/2016)

This is an example of why every developer and especially every project manager should be required to read "The Mythical Man-Month" by Fred Brooks, subtitled Essays On Software Engineering. Yes it is over 40 years old, but the wisdom and knowledge it offers is timeless. Chapter 11 is titled Plan to throw one away. It's available as a free pdf download now. Do your career and your project a favor, download it and read it this weekend.

I read the first seven chapters yesterday. Frow now on I'll send the link to this e-book to every manager I come across that still belive in the man-month myth for software development. I know quite a few of them...

• Wayne West (6/3/2016)

Among many places, you can find it here.

Wayne, is this copy of The Mythical Man Month free for reading online?

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• There are tons of places where you can download the PDF of the earlier printing, it has been revised and reprinted several times. This particular one apparently can be read online.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• It often surprises me how often the end users are upbeat when the development team feel like they have failed.

Developer: "It's got 137 bugs left!!!"

End user: "I can now focus on productive tasks instead of administrative chores!!!"

PM: "No critical defects. End users happy. Board satisfied. Job well done."

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (1/5/2017)

It often surprises me how often the end users are upbeat when the development team feel like they have failed.

Developer: "It's got 137 bugs left!!!"

End user: "I can now focus on productive tasks instead of administrative chores!!!"

PM: "No critical defects. End users happy. Board satisfied. Job well done."

Hell, that's a pleasant surprise when compared the alternate scenario where the solution is completed on time and meets all the documented requirements with no defects, and yet the end users are still not happy for non-specific reasons, or the business decides the shelf the project without deploying to production on the basis that it was never really needed in the first place.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply