Access 2010 and MS SQL Server 08 r2

• So I am working on automating a LOT of programs that are currently stored in access db's.

I want to be able to keep access as a front end and use SQL as the backend since there is a ton more i can do with it.

example:

i want to use access to standardize txt files and upload to sql server databases. each month i want it to have a dynamic name. Like "data201402" where the 201402 is the year and the month added to the end. (This is problem #1)

problem 2 is that i want to be able to access these tables using access. Preferably having sql run some views (queries) to perform calculations and combining tables. And making access in essence just a front end and spits out reports.

Is there any sites or books that can help me with this?

I hope this makes sense. Sorry if it doesnt. I was asked to play with this and they gave me about a million different ways they want it to happen.

• Yes this is very possible but be concerned about some of the problems using Access as a front end could cause if not careful (new session created for each form opened or sleeping sessions that never close).

A quick google for Access forms design returned tons of results. Basically that is what you would be doing (minus the vb coding that would need to be done for this or that or the other) - creating forms to interface with SQL Server.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (2/4/2014)

Yes this is very possible but be concerned about some of the problems using Access as a front end could cause if not careful (new session created for each form opened or sleeping sessions that never close).

A quick google for Access forms design returned tons of results. Basically that is what you would be doing (minus the vb coding that would need to be done for this or that or the other) - creating forms to interface with SQL Server.

Ok so it is more VB coding in forms with pass through queries then?

Sorry for all the questions I am just really new to the access-SQL side of things.

• That would pretty much be it. That is a fairly basic overview of it - but I think you are getting the gist.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• You might want to see if you can find the last version of Access Developer's Handbook, Enterprise Edition The first volume is Desktop, and you don't want that, I don't think. The Enterprise edition deals exclusively with using Access as a front end to SQL Server. Check them out on Amazon...

Access Developer's Handbook: Enterprise Edition

Not sure why Wrox bought the Sybex stuff up and killed it off... it used to be the go to resource for this kind of thing. You might want to check on utteraccess.com for input on the best books for the Access end of this.

HTH

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply