ACCESS VIOLATION

•  

Hi,

I am getting this error below when I executive my store proc, my store proc is calling 10-20 cursur and the input file which I am calling from xml file. Some time it does inserts 1 row and gives me with the following error. Is there any limitation of cursur

ODBC: Msg 0, Level 19, State 1

SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 94 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process.

SQL 2000 on windows 2000

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• With this AV, it's time to contact MS Support. The SQL Server log may have more details.

• Or break you SP donw into pieces and build back slowly to see if you can find what pushes it over the edge towards this error. Considering you say 10-20 cursors thou I would suggest you might want to ask for some help on maybe converting from using so many cursors to set based methods or methods. MS may be able to help but they will charge if the issue is cause by an error in your coding.

• I must say the same as Antares686 : there seems to be a problem in design in the first place. Then when you use these cursors are they defined to attack only small tables or could it be that you have so many cursors open (and of course you close and deallocate them after use, dont you ) with huge result sets that are fighting for the last piece of RAM?

• I was having the same problem and only way to look at what was causing the issue was to take a look at the dump file that the access violation created.  Access vilation should be creating a dump file in your log directory every time it happens.  So go to you log directory and look for "SQLDump000x.txt" or ".mdmp" where "x" is a sequenial number starting at 1.  Open up the txt file and you will actually see the command that is causing the access violation error.  Read through it but you should be able to pick out the problem command.

For me it turn out to be a constraint problem, drop the constraint the problem went away, put it back the problem showed up again in couple of hours.

I hope this helps,

Pat

• Nonetheless, such AV should be reported to MS tech support because it is a bug. Microsoft will most likely not charge you with it if you can prove it is a bug. SQL Server should error out nicely with "Constraints Violation". Unreported bugs will not be fixed and will propagate to the next version and other versions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply