Accessing a Linked Server with no catalog

• I have a linked server setup in 2000 with no catalog defined. I can see the table list in Enterprise Manager when I expand tables, so I know I have a good connection.

My question is, how do I reference the tables in SQL with no catalog defined? I have setup linked servers to other SQL Servers and had no problem in SQL, I just had to fully qualify the table. (server.database.dbo.tablename)

I try the following and get the following error:

select * from linkedserver...tablename

Server: Msg 7313, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Invalid schema or catalog specified for provider 'MSDASQL'.

OLE DB error trace [Non-interface error: Invalid schema or catalog specified for the provider.].

The linked server I am trying to access is IEX and the odbc driver I'm using is Simba ODBC. I can access this server through DTS and everything works. I'm just looking for a way to get around setting up a DTS package everytime I want a job to pull data from an IEX server.

Any help anyone can give one this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• FIXED IT!!!!

When you setup the linked server, click on Provider Options, then check Level Zero Only.

Finding this way to access a linked server basically makes all my DTS jobs on my server obsolete.

WOOOO HOOO!!!!~!!

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• So I'm linked, I have the catalogue, but it shows up as default schema and I cannot query it using a 4 part identifier, only openquery. Have you found a way around this?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply