Accessing SQL Server 2005 through Vista

• I just bought a new HP laptop that has Vista installed. Not happy about the OS but it is what it is...

I need to use Enterprise Manager, or an equivalent, to access a remote server, running SQL 2005.

With XP, I always installed and used SQL Server 2000 Client features.

Vista does not play well with SQL 2000 so I am looking for an alternative to simply be able to access, and perform DTS functions, a remote SQL 2005 system.

Does SQL Server 2005 Express offer client alias features?

Can anyone recommend another approach or product?

Thank you,

Steve

• I have loaded and patched the SQL Server 2005 client tools, and they work fine.  If you need to and can, install a virtual pc and load XP as the client os, and then load the tools you need on the virtual pc.  I have been considering that to allow me to vpn into work with my laptop, just haven't got around to it yet.

• Thanks for the reply Lynn,

I tried loading SQL 2005 but the client tools were beyond my feeble brain or weren't working with Vista.  (Most likely the former)

My frustration lies with the observation that Vista has limited compatibility with so many products, I am never confident that it's me or the OS...

I'm not in a position to installing a virtual pc.

Thanks again Lynn.

I am open to any other ideas regarding getting client tools that work with Vista.

• I agree.  I had to wait for SP 2 to be released to load the SQL Server 2005 client tools on my Vista laptop, but I use it a lot at home working with my SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition I have installed on my desktop system there, and as I said, I have had no problems there.

If I should breakdown and setup a Virtual PC 2007 instance on my laptaop, I'll let you know how hard/easy it was.

• Oh, you could try downloading Toad for SQL Server and see how that works.

• Unfortunately, SQL 2000 is not supported on Vista.  Even if it was, I don't think EM can connect to a SQL2005 instance.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply