Active Directory -> SQL (Convert)

• I have extract certain data/fields from Active Directory into a table (sql) and some of the columns are such as  AccountExpires, PWDLASTSET, ETC have a these long numeric strings which I'm sure are dates but when I try to Convert(datetime,field1,120) the fields to a readable format I receive: "Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime." .  Does anyone know how I can change 127777589408075800000 into January 1 20117  (<-  That's just an example) ?  Thank you.

• I found a web page with a solution which appears to work, although you may have to re-examine the value you posted.   I had to drop 3 zeroes from the end of the string of numbers to get something in range for SQL Server.   Here's the code:

SELECT T.binary_value
        , D.DATE_VALUE
        , DO.DATE_CONVERTED
    FROM (
        VALUES    (127777589408075800)
        ) AS T(binary_value)
        CROSS APPLY (
            SELECT (CAST(T.binary_value AS bigint) / (864000000000.0)) - 109207 AS DATE_VALUE
            ) AS D
        CROSS APPLY (
           SELECT DATEADD(minute, DATEDIFF(minute, GETUTCDATE(), GETDATE()), D.DATE_VALUE) AS DATE_CONVERTED
            ) AS DO

Be aware that just dropping 2 zeroes from that value put it in the date range of year 5650.   Not exactly a realistic date value to appear in Active Directory, much less SQL Server.   The web page I found is here:

https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/811/Converting-Active-Directory-Timestamps-in-Microsoft-SQL-Server.html

• i know power shell has a function FromFileTime  that can convert that wierd value( #ticks?) to datetime

i've sued this expression:
    Expression={[DATETIME]::fromFileTime($_.accountExpires)}}

$Results = Get-ADUser -Filter * -ResultPageSize 100 | Get-ADObject -Properties * | select -property sAMAccountName,ou,
    GivenName,SurName,DisplayName,email,emailaddress,
    StreetAddress,City,State,PostalCode,
    HomePhone,MobilePhone,OfficePhone,Fax,
    Company,Organization,Department,Title,Description,Office,
    extensionAttribute1,extensionAttribute2,extensionAttribute3,extensionAttribute4,extensionAttribute5,
    @{Name='AccountExpires';Expression={[DATETIME]::fromFileTime($_.accountExpires)}},Enabled,PasswordLastSet,
    @{n="PasswordExpirationDate";e={$_.PasswordLastSet.AddDays($maxPasswordAge)}},PasswordNeverExpires,PasswordExpired,
    LastLogonDate,whenCreated

$Results | Out-GridView

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• kd11 - Friday, February 24, 2017 7:18 AM

I have extract certain data/fields from Active Directory into a table (sql) and some of the columns are such as  AccountExpires, PWDLASTSET, ETC have a these long numeric strings which I'm sure are dates but when I try to Convert(datetime,field1,120) the fields to a readable format I receive: "Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type datetime." .  Does anyone know how I can change 127777589408075800000 into January 1 20117  (<-  That's just an example) ?  Thank you.

Ya know, I just realized that your text may NOT have been a typo.   Given the value you have, you'll be entirely out of range if you expect SQL Server to give you any date beyond 9999-12-31 23:59:59.997 for a datetime datatype, and only a few milliseconds later for the more precise datetime data types.

• Referencing the following URL ...
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms675098(v=vs.85).aspx
    ... and if you only want the date and not the time, you can do the following...
    DECLARE  @AcctExpires   VARCHAR(32)  = '127777589408075800000'
            ,@BaseDate      DATE = '16010101'
            ,@DTValue       DATE
    ;
    SELECT DATEADD(dd,CONVERT(BIGINT,LEFT(@AcctExpires,LEN(@AcctExpires)-7))/86400000.0,@BaseDate)
    ;
    /* Results
    ConvertedDT
    -----------
    2005-11-29
    */

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Thanks guys just doing this works " 

CAST((pwdlastset / 864000000000.0 - 109207) AS DATETIME

)"

but When I try to do it for a different column(with a nvarchar(256) datatype) it would not work.  The value for the second column is always "9223372036854775807"  so I tried doing this

CONVERT

(nvarchar(16),convert(Datetime, column2,103),120) And I get the Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string Error message.  Do I need to alter the table column from nvarchar to datetime.

• kd11 - Monday, February 27, 2017 10:21 AM
    Thanks guys just doing this works " 

CAST((pwdlastset / 864000000000.0 - 109207) AS DATETIME

)"

but When I try to do it for a different column(with a nvarchar(256) datatype) it would not work.  The value for the second column is always "9223372036854775807"  so I tried doing this

CONVERT

(nvarchar(16),convert(Datetime, column2,103),120) And I get the Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string Error message.  Do I need to alter the table column from nvarchar to datetime.

Try to convert from nvarchar to bigint first, then do the math.   If that fails, try decimal(19,0) instead.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply