ActiveX job step in SQL Server Agent

• I am wanting to preven my job from failing if a file not exist; it's kind of backwards and I'm new at this.  The ActiveX script works in a DTS package to fail the step; when I use it as a step in a "job" it's not working like I want.

This is the log I get for the job: The step did not generate any output.  The step succeeded.  The job is only two steps and I need it to start withe ActiveX as the first step to check file.  I think it has something to do with the result syntax.  Please help.  Thanks.

Function Main()

sFile = " C:\test.txt"

Set oFSO = CreateObject ("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

If oFSO.FileExists (sFile) Then

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

Else

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Failure

End If 

Set oFSO = Nothing

End Function

• If you don't want your job to report a failure then you will need to remove the

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Failure

You might want to create an empty (null) file and have the DTS package "process" that if the test.txt does not exist.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Normal chaos will be resumed as soon as possible. :crazy:

• I thought of a few work arounds, I could make an extra pkg just for the file check to on fail quit with success but didn't want to packages for every package or even extra steps in the job.  This is seeming to work now with adding a workflow property to prevent the dts package step from failing and the job has'nt reported a failure either:

Function Main()

sFile = "C:\any.txt"

Set oFSO = CreateObject ("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

If oFSO.FileExists (sFile) Then

Main = DTSStepScriptResult_ExecuteTask

Else

Main = DTSStepScriptResult_DontExecuteTask

End If   

End Function

Since this step is the first in the package It can't fail if the file is not there, there is possibly a Main = "something to say job success or job failure" results statement when using ActiveX as a job step that would give the output needed. 

Thanks.

Moderator, as a newbie how can this thread be closed?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply