add space to database

• Hello

We have one existing database. currently it allocate 95 GB space for Data File. Now i need to expand space from 95 GB to 120 GB. so How can i do that,

can I use ALTER DATABASE command or other way.

Please give me query or proper guidance to handle this.

Thanks in Advance.

• USE master;

GO

ALTER DATABASE yourdb

MODIFY FILE

(NAME = logical file name,

SIZE = size you wantMB);

GO

see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb522469(v=sql.100).aspx

you can also do it via SSMS, right click the db, go to properties - files and specify the new file size there. Do this at a quite time for the system especially if increasing by a large amount. If you have windows 2008 or above you should have instant file initialisation configured for the service account, google that. If the service account has sysadmin it will already have that right. This will make data file growths instantaneous (not log file growths)

If autogrow is enabled for the database the file will grow automatically when it fills anyway, but best practice is to pre-empt thipreemptng manually. Make sure any autogrowth setttings are set sensibly (not percentages and not small MB growths)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (10/16/2012)

If autogrow is enabled for the database the file will grow automatically when it fills anyway, but best practice is to pre-empt thipreemptng manually. Make sure any autogrowth setttings are set sensibly (not percentages and not small MB growths)

Thanks for Your reply.

currently, The Auto growth Enable for this database. The File Growth is 500MB and Restricted File Growth is 95GB.

The Initial size for this database has 94,644 MB.

so if i want to add space i need to change in Initial Size and Restricted File Growth right ?

• correct. Restricted size needs to be >= to the size you want to increase to.

• george sibbald (10/16/2012)

correct. Restricted size needs to be >= to the size you want to increase to.

Ok, so that means

if i set up Initial size to 119.644 MB. then Restricted size will be 120 GB.

right?

Thanks for Your Help.

• Really need to get an idea of the current file sizes, post the results of this please run against your database

USE YourDB

GO

select name

, size / 128 AS FileSize

, case max_size

when -1 then 'Unlimited'

when 0 then 'No growth'

when 268435456 then '2TB'

else CAST(max_size / 128 AS VARCHAR(20))

end AS Maxsize

, case is_percent_growth

when 0 then CAST(growth / 128 as VARCHAR(20)) + 'MB'

when 1 then CAST(growth as VARCHAR(20)) + '%'

end AS Growth

from sys.database_files

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (10/16/2012)

Really need to get an idea of the current file sizes, post the results of this please run against your database

USE YourDB

GO

select name

, size / 128 AS FileSize

, case max_size

when -1 then 'Unlimited'

when 0 then 'No growth'

when 268435456 then '2TB'

else CAST(max_size / 128 AS VARCHAR(20))

end AS Maxsize

, case is_percent_growth

when 0 then CAST(growth / 128 as VARCHAR(20)) + 'MB'

when 1 then CAST(growth as VARCHAR(20)) + '%'

end AS Growth

from sys.database_files

Here is the results

name FileSize Maxsize Growth

Stars_Data 94644 95000 500MB

Stars_Log 17607 20000 500MB

• yogi123 (10/16/2012)

george sibbald (10/16/2012)

correct. Restricted size needs to be >= to the size you want to increase to.

Ok, so that means

if i set up Initial size to 119.644 MB. then Restricted size will be 120 GB.

right?

Thanks for Your Help.

as a minimum. There does not have to be any direct correlation between them. Set it to something that makes sense for available space on the drive, or remove it entirely if it makes no sense in your environment.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply