Addind a new drive to a Cluster Group

• Can anyone point me in the right direction of the correct procedure of how to add a new SAN drive to a Windows 2003 Cluster group for SQL Server 2000. This drive will be used at some point to move the transaction log to so i can switch the database into Full Recovery mode.

The drive has been assigned to the correct servers within the SAN and is now showing as unallocated and not initialized within Disk Management on one of the active nodes. I was under the impression I could take the following steps:

Initialize the disk as BASIC

Format in NTFS

Create the partition

Assign drive letter

Create new resource in Cluster Admin & assign to the SQL Server Group already set up with the resource dependency of SQL Server.

I have read somewhere though that the resource needs to be down for the dependancy to be added, i.e. i would need to take SQL Server offline.

Also i have read that the above needs doing on the other node so if there is ever a fail over it can pick up the resource ok.

For information, i have an active - active cluster group for this one in question.

thanks in advance

• I'm not sure about the sql 2000 part (all of our clusters are on SQL 2005), but the rest of it (all Windows Server 2003) looks right.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Thanks Wayne, i'd imagine it would be the same process for SQL 2000 but do you have to initialize the disk and create a new resource on the other node i.e. (node B) once it has already been done on node A?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply