Adding a new node to an existing Cluster - SQL2K5

• As mentioned,

I need to add a new Cluster to an existing SQL 2005 Cluster which sits on top of a Windows 2003 Cluster. I referred to this microsoft document:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191545.aspx

However, before doing this I had these questions:

1. Do I first need to Install SQL Server 2005 of the new node that I am going to add and then run the procedure mentioned in the link above.

2. Do I have to reboot/restart services on the existing SQL Server node in order to complete addition of the new node.

Thanks in advance

• Dipali (4/15/2008)

As mentioned,

I need to add a new Cluster to an existing SQL 2005 Cluster which sits on top of a Windows 2003 Cluster. I referred to this microsoft document:

--> "add a new Cluster"? ===> "add a new node"

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191545.aspx

However, before doing this I had these questions:

1. Do I first need to Install SQL Server 2005 of the new node that I am going to add and then run the procedure mentioned in the link above.

==> No. SQL installation installs SQL2005 (1 virtual SQL instance) on the top of the cluster. It will apply to all the nodes which you want to include in the cluster.

2. Do I have to reboot/restart services on the existing SQL Server node in order to complete addition of the new node.

==> Follow the instruction (message) after the installation. It is recommended to restart the computer (more than SQL service).

It seems a reinstallation whenever a node is added/removed from the existing cluster. If it is for an existing production system, you should plan it properly.

• If you are dealing with prime time production server than I suggest better

option is to allow windows admin or Sr. DBA with expertise to handle cluster situation, you can learn by observing expert doing for the first time. If you are dealing with test box, non significant servers than you can learn by this exercise. This is tricky area and relying on one msdn article is kind of less advisable.

No you can install Sql server after adding node.

Reboot is safe and better practise as binaries are involved here, I am not sure of whether it works without reboot.

Kindest Regards,

Sameer Raval [Sql Server DBA]
    Geico Insurance
    RavalSameer@hotmail.com

• Sameer,

Thanks for your valuable advice. I am working on a test environment right now. Will keep you guys posted. Once I have some idea of what exactly happened.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply