day data

1 200

2 400

3 600

I want to get the output,

when day = 1 then 200

When day = 2 then (200+400)

When day = 3 then (200+400+600)

Is anyone please help me on this how to get this output using query.

Thanks,

tony

• select val.day,SUM(V.data) from val V join val Val on V.day<=val.day group by val.day,val.day

Regards

Guru

• Tony

Search this site (or the internet) for "running totals", then have a try at writing something. Post back if there's anything you don't understand.

John

• GuruGPrasad (3/21/2012)

select val.day,SUM(V.data) from val V join val Val on V.day<=val.day group by val.day,val.day

That'll work well for three rows, but will get more and more inefficient the more rows you have in your table. Please read this article [/url]for more information.

John

• Thanks a lot , this works fine.!!

• John Mitchell-245523 (3/21/2012)

GuruGPrasad (3/21/2012)

select val.day,SUM(V.data) from val V join val Val on V.day<=val.day group by val.day,val.day

That'll work well for three rows, but will get more and more inefficient the more rows you have in your table. Please read this article [/url]for more information.

John

Tony

Consider using another method. Here's another great article by Jeff Moden http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/68467/[/url]

• The links already given above will work a great deal better than what I'm about to show, but...

My wife says I love complicated things, and I'm sure that will show in my script. This is a live database with 1,000 rows of sample data (I only altered customer sensitive information). It gives a running total by state by day of an outstanding balance (dbo.AD = approved amount, dbo.PM = payments made). If you want, you can pick this apart for a working version of a running total.

I'm sure there will be SEVERAL responses stating that this is an inefficient way to accomplish this, but it does work. It ran in 5 seconds on my machine.

See attached for the script.

[font="Arial"]“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
    - Albert Einstein

"DOH!"
    - Homer Simpson[/font]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply