Adding Files to a FileGroup

• Greetz!

I have an existing database which has a single .mdf currently around 65Gb. I would like to add several .ndf files to allow for future growth without bloating this single mdf.

I was able to add the file group 'SECONDARY' by using the Add button on the filegroups tab. However when I attempt to add .ndf files via the Add button I get an error stating that the filename is incorrect. I've attempted this both with and without a name in the File Name field.

In my googling I've found this error also shows up when using Alter Database to add files.

How can I add files to my new filegroup in SL Server 2008?

Thanks!

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

• I'm guessing you are adding the files then trying to add them to the Filegroup, I believe you need to specifiy the filegroup when you create the file. I had run accross this recently and I could simply not move a file form one filegroup to another even on a completely database.

CEWII

• Elliott Whitlow (6/16/2011)

I'm guessing you are adding the files then trying to add them to the Filegroup, I believe you need to specifiy the filegroup when you create the file. I had run accross this recently and I could simply not move a file form one filegroup to another even on a completely database.

CEWII

Yes, otherwise it will create the new file in the default filegroup.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• And then won't let you change it...

CEWII

• Actually the error is when I am using the Add Files functionality.

I right click the database and select properties.

I select 'Files' under the 'Select a page' pane on the properties window.

I click the 'Add' button and enter a new logical name, the file type, specify the newly created filegroup, set the initial size, Autogrowth and the Filename (ending in .ndf but which does not exist yet on the file system)

When I click OK I get the error mentioned in my initial post. I have uploaded a screenshot of the error message i get when clicking 'OK'

• Do you have permissions to the specified drive location?

Learn Extended Events

• I am using an account that has elevated permissions but I'm not able to verify that it has permissions on that folder because our RDP is down at the moment and won't be fixed for a few days...until we can get an outage window provisioned. That could be the issue though.

• I just had one of th eSystem Admins who has complete control over the drive/directory and he got the same error when clicking ok. Any idea why this is happening?

• We figured it out! When you select a path for the file by clicking the ellipsis it gives you a location. We are storing these in the root of the drive. For some reason this was showing up as T: and not T:\. Adding the \ manually soved the problem.

• Wow, thanks for posting that back.

Learn Extended Events

• Don't you just love those kind? 🙂

• I guess I missed something because my db ran out of room. The single mdf on the primary was set to Autogrow and had a size cap at 70Gb. The secondary filegroup contains 5 .ndf with a maxsize of 50Gb.

I was expecting the dbengine to automatically switch to the next filegroup and begin inserts on the first .ndf but instead my insert script errored out.

What needs to be done now so that SQL Server will utilize the second filegroup when the frist one fills up?

Thanks!

• To have SQL write simultaneously to multiple files, those files have to be in the same filegroup. SQL will never start using a different filegroup for writes.

Multiple files in one filegroup give you automatically spread out data.

Multiple filegroups lets you explicitly specify what filegroup a table or index goes onto.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Multiple filegroups lets you explicitly specify what filegroup a table or index goes onto.

So a good practice would be to create a secondary filegroup when a database is created and make that the default filegroup? Would making the file group default automatically place tables into it when tables are created? If I know ahead of time that the user tables will grow very large it sounds like it would be best to create a few files in that group of say 50Gb each, limit the size of each file and turn autogrow on for them?

Once user tables are on a file in the primary file group can they be moved to another filegroup or are you stuck in that group?

Thanks!

• MothInTheMachine (6/18/2011)

Multiple filegroups lets you explicitly specify what filegroup a table or index goes onto.

yes

So a good practice would be to create a secondary filegroup when a database is created and make that the default filegroup?

yes

Would making the file group default automatically place tables into it when tables are created?

yes

If I know ahead of time that the user tables will grow very large it sounds like it would be best to create a few files in that group of say 50Gb each, limit the size of each file and turn autogrow on for them?

If you limit the size, autogrow will stop at that limitation and you may continue to have issues. Make sure you have adequately large files for a couple of years growth and turn autogrow for fail-safe scenarios.

Once user tables are on a file in the primary file group can they be moved to another filegroup or are you stuck in that group?

Thanks!

No. Tables can be moved to different filegroups.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply