Adding Index, reduces reads, but increases duration, CPU

• Hi,

I have added an index to a table, as my query was doing a clustered index scan on it. After adding the index, the scan has turned into an index seek, the overall reads have come down by around 20%, but the CPU and Duration have gone up, compared to the same query. before index addition. I am not sure, what could be the explanation for this, can someone please help?

Regards - Yasub

• Could you please post the execution plan for the above query

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Here you go...

• The above exec plan, iafter adding index, here's the one before:

The index is for the first half of the plan.

• Apologies for posting info in bits and pieces, here are the stats:

Before Index:

Cpu 156, Reads 4356, Writes 10, Duration 155

After Index:

Cpu 265, Reads 3688, Writes 9, Duration 414

• the query plan looks fine

Could you try running the client stats once more after executing

DBCC DROPCLEANBUFFERS

DBCC FREEPROCCACHE

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187762.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174283.aspx

Probably this will make the results more accurate.

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Hey Jayanth, this problem is on the pre production environment, cant run these DBCC commands there right...

• You're retrieving 261000 rows out of a table that has 268000 unique values (not sure if that's how many rows it has or not). I'm a little surprised that it's able to do an index seek at all.

It's not surprise to me that the despite getting a seek, you're seeing slower performance. When it was doing the scan, it was an ordered value returned to a merge join, which is a very efficient join for larger data sets like this. With the seek now, you're getting a hash join, which requires a temporary table be created in order to process the data and it's just not as efficient as a merge in this situation.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks Grant, i see the point. Any suggestions as to how i can solve this?

• yasubmj (6/27/2011)

Thanks Grant, i see the point. Any suggestions as to how i can solve this?

Filter the data in some fashion is the best answer I have. Assuming the selectivity is somewhat analogous to the number of rows (it might be, it might not), then you're going through a very substantial portion of the table. Better to find a method for reducing that, some additional criteria you can add to cut it down.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Index Fill Factor ?

is this table is read extensive or dml extensive ?

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

• Thats the big problem Grant, 🙁 , the filtering condition is on the joining table and not this one.... 🙁

Syed, While creating the new index, kept the fillfactor as its default value.

The table is read intensive.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply