Adding Processors and memory to Server

• I was informed my Network Admin will be adding two processors and more memory to my MSSQL2K server.  What will I have to do to make MSSQL aware of and use the two new processors and memory?

• If you have configured memory to be dynamic as opposed to fixed size, and you have checked off use all available processors; then you should have to do anything after the server has been restarted.  Check out the Properties of the instance in Enterprise Manager after the hardware upgrade to verify that SQL Server picked up the added memory and CPUs.

Francis

• In addition to memory configuration, you should monitor your application performance in SQL Server since adding more CPUs could change the query execution plan, for example, query is going to executed in parallel which causes query performing slow sometime.

• I think you will have to go into Ent. Manager and check the additional CPUs and then bounce SQL Server to use them. When you install SQL Server you tell it how many processors you are licensed for. I hope you paid for the additional processor licenses for SQL Server?!?!?! 

If you left the dynamic memory allocation alone then yes it will see the added memory up to 2 gig I think for Std edition and use it as it needs it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply