Adding table to subscriber

• Hi,

Can a new table be added to the subscriber without needing to add to the Publisher?

Will this affect the current replication in any way? Meaning will it break replication?

• Yes, you can safely add tables to a subscriber database that are not part of the Publication and do not exist in the subscriber database.

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• namrata.dhanawade-1143388 (7/24/2012)

Can a new table be added to the subscriber without needing to add to the Publisher?

Yes.

Will this affect the current replication in any way?

No.

Meaning will it break replication?

No.

Additional information:

1) Publisher and subscriber can contain tables which are not part of any replication.

2) There can be more than one publication. Similary there can be more than one subscription.

3) Subscriber can contain table which does not exist on publisher.

• Thanks a lot.

This helps.

• I have a similar question: I have basic transactional replication setup between two 2005 SQL Servers. Now I want to create views on the subscriber, will this break the replication?

Thanks

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • quackhandle1975 (7/25/2012)

Now I want to create views on the subscriber, will this break the replication?qh

Generally speaking, views on the subscriber do not break the replication.

But if the views are schema bound and if the snapshot is configured to delete and recreate the objects (default configuration), it might interefear with the snapshot.

In such scenario, you can change the snapshot configuration to truncate the table and repopulate the data.

• Thanks for the reply. In my setup the Publisher is large (50GB+) so I performed a backup and restore for the subscriber so no snapshot was applied (or will ever be applied). I was concerned that any data changes/updates or schema/db object changes on the subscriber would cause (transactional) replication to break.

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • Changes to the replicated objects on the subscriber would interfere with transactional replication.

You can add indexes to the replicated tables on subscriber.

• But non replicated objects created or updated on subscriber would not break replication?

qh

• Non replicated object on subscriber would not break replication. 🙂

Transaction replication basicaly happens with DDL/DML SQL statements (CREATE, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, etc).

So objects that are not referred in the query would not cause the query to fail.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply