Administering an Application Role

• Jacob Pressures (9/11/2008)

But why has this been so hard? I thought connecting to different DBMS was supposed to be quite seamless.

Generally connecting can be, however implementing good security is another story.

By the way, there is another thread here that is covering similar questions and may also be of help to you: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic555256-146-4.aspx

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Jacob:

But why has this been so hard? I thought connecting to different DBMS was supposed to be quite seamless.

With Windows authorization:

Use my sample code and connection is relatively simple as well as seamless. Test it using various instances of SQL Server (If you have them) and various database located in a particular SQL Server.

As RBarryyoung has stated:

Generally connecting can be, however implementing good security is another story

The use of stored procedures is very, very similar using either ADO with VB6 or ADO.Net with dot net code, and in many cases can actually be simpler than composing dynamic T-SQL statements in your code. SPs, as has been stated add an additionally layer of security. Other pluses, use of SPs can make your code very flexible, and you would be surprised how easy it can be to adjust user viewed output by simply changing the SP and not needing to alter your application code, and go through the process of installing the updated version of your app.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Thanks guys! How much do I owe you? I'm not finished but I think I have what i need. I'll post what I found yesterday. I think I've read all the links in this thread so far.

I got SS2005 Developer's Edition (and unfortunately uninstalled my SS2000 before hand) it requires that i first set up IIS. I'll try to tackle that sometimes this weekend, hopefully and get the majority of this done if i have time. Hopefully IIS isn't difficult to set up properly.

I had done several Google searches several times before guys and never found what i was looking for. Yesterday i did a search on "application roles AND ado." I had never included the ado part but only the SS2k/5 part.

I found this link -- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/229564 -- which was very helpful in understanding CONNECTION POOLING and it uses the EXECUTE method on the ado object. I think i was in the wrong section of BOL something about adomd or something when i saw the execute method first used. that helped me get idea of how to do this. But I still need some help with the @cookie part. But I'll need some time to put my thoughts together!

I can't thank you guys enough! :satisfied:

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply