.adp distribution

• Hello all:

I'm finishing up an .adp and moving on to the next step of distributing it.  I was hoping some of you might be able to provide some insight on doing this.  Any pitfalls recommendations etc. 

I have a user group of about 25+ people and I would like to automate the process as much as possible. My main concern is setting up the ODBC Data Source.  Can this be done programatically ?  Is there a command I could use in the .adp?

I know this is a general topic, but I guess I'm just looking for some guidelines.  Maybe even a good link for the distribution process.

Thanks,

Cleech

• What we do here is put the .adp on a shared folder. Then every morning a batch file is executed from the user pc and the files are copied to his pc.

The main thing I found is that you may forget to give permission to execute some stored procs or views... you may want to borrow another login to test the software before releasing... otherwise if it works on your station it will work on theirs (if they can access the server obviously).

• Remember that the ADP itself is designed to be single user.  So you need to do what Remi said and develop a process for getting the most recent version on each machine.

Also, there is no ODBC drives or DSN used in an ADP.  So, that is not an issue.  I would recommend that all machines be running the same MDAC version.

And, finally, distribute it as an ADE, the compiled version of the ADP.

If you are using SQL Server based security and not Windows security, then the issue of things not workign because of a different login is not an issue.  You set that up in the connection dialog box and it does not change if you selected the box to save that.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply