Advice Needed for MS SQL DBA Changing to a career with Oracle

• Hi,

I know that this site is for MS SQL Server but I am in a bit of a rut, I work for the scottish health service and through all the new effeciency savings our department is having alot of work transferred to the private sector, Management are encouraging staff to retrain out of there current line of work into other areas that might be good for the organisation i.e. project managment.

I would prefer to stay in the DBA line of work, but there's nothing going within the area for MS SQL DBA's.

Oracle seems popular and I was wondering have any of you made that transition?

I havn't had any experience with Oracle so if I was to try getting experience, any ideas where I should start?

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• RTaylor2208 (8/27/2009)

Hi,

I know that this site is for MS SQL Server but I am in a bit of a rut, I work for the scottish health service and through all the new effeciency savings our department is having alot of work transferred to the private sector, Management are encouraging staff to retrain out of there current line of work into other areas that might be good for the organisation i.e. project managment.

I would prefer to stay in the DBA line of work, but there's nothing going within the area for MS SQL DBA's.

I havn't had any experience with Oracle so if I was to try getting experience, any ideas where I should start?

I used to be SQL DBA then I was an Oracle DBA and now I am back as a SQL DBA, there is more work out there for SQL Server than Oracle in the UK in my opinion. The easiest way of learning oracle is working in a multi-database environment where both databases are used. i very much doubt with all the training and book reading you could potentially do, it would get you nowhere when trying to get work as an oracle DBA, Oracle is a steep learning curve compared to SQL Server. i would go on courses if your employer is prepared to pay for them. or try your hand at the BI side of SQL Server. there is growing demand for the reporting and business intelligence part of SQL Server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Thanks for the reply, I have been toying with the idea of the BI stuff as I agree there definitely seems to be a growing market for this.

I am hopefully finishing my MCITP DBA SQL 2005 this month, got the dreaded 70-433 exam to go. And was thinking it was either time to go to the oracle or the BI certification route. Looks like the BI route would make the most sense. With a bit more knowledge of the BI functions I might be able to convince keeping the DBA role within the organisation.

Thanks Again.

R

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• There definitely seem to see more jobs in the BI sector, especially SSIS in the US. Not sure about the UK.

I think anything you can do to broaden your skills will help you if you need to look for more work.

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/28/2009)

There definitely seem to see more jobs in the BI sector, especially SSIS in the US. Not sure about the UK.

I think anything you can do to broaden your skills will help you if you need to look for more work.

Most of the work in the UK asks for BI, I live and work in the UK. without some BI knowledge you would struggle to get DBA Work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• RTaylor2208 (8/27/2009)

This is what I want to know too.

In my country there are no Sql Server jobs (no BI, Dev or Admin), ok I lied, there was one in February this year but thats it. There was almost one more but their HR made a mistake and included this into their job offer "good knowledge of Sql Server from (2000 - 2007)" 2007???wth, yeah, they just needed an Oracle guy.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• There are a couple of ways that you can learn about oracle.

I would say one would be to go to the local libraries and bookstores and read up on it.

There are thousands of resources out there that could easily help you obtain the skills you need to learn Oracle. It would also be a good idea to try and find out if there are any companies that use both maybe they would allow you to be an apprentice so that you could learn in a hands on type of way, or you could simply take classes that are geared towards learning oracle.

Finally, take a look at the Oracle jobs and find out if you have a good chance of getting hired at entry level or only as an experienced oracle dba / developer.

Considering the amount of work that you have to do ... look into other career paths including project management and yes, Software Development.

Finally, make sure that you really want to leave your SQL Server Career ... it may be that you are not marketing yourself hard enough. Make finding and applying for SQL Server Jobs a top priority for a period (3 months / 6 months) and use that period to really make sure that there are no SQL Server jobs out there for you!

• Heh... Oracle... I'm SO glad to be back in a 100% Microsoft SQL Server environment. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply