Type CHAR(2) NOT NULL,

VolumeA SMALLINT NOT NULL DEFAULT(0),

VolumeB SMALLINT NOT NULL DEFAULT(0),

CONSTRAINT [IX_Process_Volumes_RR] NONCLUSTERED

(

ProcessDate ASC

)

);

ProcessDate/Type combinations should be unique. (though a few anomolies exist in the data - but these are old and probably erroneous)

How the table is used

1) batch process enters a months ProcessDates in advance, creating blank records for all Types

2) Frequent Reports are run on date range/ single Type combinations, but usually only the previous/current and next months

3) Initially VolumeA & B are updated individually using a user interface for a Type

4) Frequent automatic processes update VolumeA and B - minimally several hundred times a day for the current & next few day's records. Fast updates here are critical.

5) automatic processes frequently query the volume data - based on date/Type. Locking can be an issue at peak times.

In all cases the update process gets the current value, performs some calculation then Updates using the pKey

The change required is to Add a new field Model, so the new data structure is

CREATE TABLE dbo.New_Process_Volumes (

--- pKey needed?

ProcessDate SMALLDATETIME NOT NULL,

Type CHAR(2) NOT NULL,

Model CHAR(2) NOT NULL,

VolumeA SMALLINT NOT NULL DEFAULT(0),

VolumeB SMALLINT NOT NULL DEFAULT(0),

--- index needed?

);

The ProcessDate/Type/Model combination is unique

Reports will now run on dateRange/ for a single Type/Model combinations

Obviously an index or key on ProcessDate/Type/Model would be advisable (or should it be Type/Model/ProcessDate - as usually a single Type/Model is queried for a range of dates

My question is this: To get the most efficient update and query:

a) Do I continue to use an INDENTITY as primary key - if so should it be clusted and create an index on Date/Type/Model?

b) or should I use the unique ProcessDate/Type/Model combination as primary key and cluster that and change the updates to use these 3 fields - (with no IDENTITY)

c) or keep the IDENTITY - but not use it as primary key or cluster and create a primary key on ProcessDate/Type/Model

or is this kind of thing impossible to predict in advance?

Also - how to I query the system tables to see if any foreign keys reference the identity column?

• Why do you have a dbo.Process_Volumes and a new dbo.New_Process_Volumes Tables?

As a personal preference I would not name the PK column Pkey.

Is may be a remote chance that the combination of ProcessDate and Type may not be unique?

You may want to go with the Identity column as the Primary Key

and the Date Column as a Clustered Index and the Type Column as a non-clustered index.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply