Allowing webserver to see SQL server

• Hi everyone.

I've developed a website and alls well except when trying to set up my ODBC connection on the webserver - it can't see the SQL server we have. The webserver is behind the DMZ so I think this is why it cannot see another PC on the network. How do I allow the Webserver to 'talk' to the SQL server in order to setup a ODBC datasource ? I'm relatively new at this so any advice is welcome,

Best regards,

Mitch...

• If it's communicating across a firewall, there are likely some ports that'll need to be opened. You'll need to know what port SQL Server is listening on and you can find this out by checking out the TCP/IP network library though the Server Network Utility. Default is 1433. Here's a KB article that should give you (and your network admin) a point in the right direction:

INF: TCP Ports Needed for Communication to SQL Server Through a Firewall

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks Brian, that should keep me busy for a while....

Mitch........

• You may also want to use a SQL logon instead of a Windows logon account if you have your DMZ outside of the internal network.  Use an account specifically for the web server, and give it the minimum access it needs to function.

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

• Thanks Russel.

So what you advise is to create an account on the Webserver just to talk to the SQL server ? I have a SQL account that I tried to use for login on the SQL server when I set up the ODBC on WS but it just would'nt see the SQL Server. That said I can see the Webserver from the SQL server when I search for Computer using the IP address but of copurse it lists it in a different domain.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply