Alter Index Runtime

• Hi All

Recently I had an incident where my normal reindexing job that usually runs for +-20 mins was still running after 4 hours.

I didn't see any blocking on the system at the time but according to sp_who2, the last batch was the time that the job starts.

I stopped the job and everything seemed fine after that

In future, what course of action should I take when I see something like this?

Will the sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks DMV assist in a situation like this or does that DMV only apply to current blocking situations?

Thanks

• that DMV will only show current information, to capture blocking information the only thing I can think of is sp_blocker_ps008

• SQLDBA360 (7/18/2012)

that DMV will only show current information, to capture blocking information the only thing I can think of is sp_blocker_ps008

I understand that it only shows current information

Will that DMV assist if I'm faced with the same situation again?

Thanks

• Ah sorry yeah, didn't read your post correctly, thought the job had completed but had taken a long time. Using that DMV should help you locate what is causing the blocking

• SQLDBA360 (7/18/2012)

Ah sorry yeah, didn't read your post correctly, thought the job had completed but had taken a long time. Using that DMV should help you locate what is causing the blocking

Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply