Altering Identical Trigger in many databases.

• I need to make a change to a trigger that exists in 500 identical databases.  It is a minor change of changing a datatype from varchar(200) to varchar(2000).  How can I do this in a script?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Keith

• This should get you started.

EXEC sp_msForEACHDB 'IF EXISTS (Select * from ?..SysObjects WHERE Name = ''TriggerName'')

BEGIN

USE ?

;

ALTER TRIGGER script

END'

• How can I get around the fact that sp_msforeachdb will only accept 2000 characters.  My trigger script contains more characters than that.  Also, what do I do about constant data enclosed in quotes.

Thanks

• Use OSQL or SQLCMD command with cursor or while loop...

SELECT 'EXEC XP_CMDSHELL "OSQL -S'+@@servername+' -d '+NAME+' -i c:\triggerfile' FROM MASTER..SYSDATABASES WHERE DBID >6

Take the output from the above command run it...if it is sql 2000 you use xp_executeresultset command but not in 2005.

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• If you're considering the use of 3rd party tools, look at SQL Farms- they have a tool with which you can connect to all databases/server in parallel and run any type of SQL scripts, so you can make the updates on all your 500 databases.

Editor's Note: : Dr. Omri Bahat works for SQLFarms, a software vendor of SQL Server tools.

• You can also create a stored procedure that takes varchar(8000) as param and executes it and then use it in the for each statement.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply