alternative to cte

• I was wondering if someone here knew how to write another select statement that wasn't a cte. This displays a list of posts in their heirarchy. Does anyone else know how to write this better. I need a Level and Url the root url of the post

WITH cte(Url, Level, Path, PostID, AddedBy, AddedDate, ForumID, ParentPostID, Title, Body,

Approved, Closed, Sticky, ViewCount, ReplyCount, LastPostBy, LastPostDate, UpdatedBy, UpdatedDate, Active)

AS (

SELECT REPLACE(LOWER(Title), ' ', '-'), 0 AS Level, CAST(PostID as nvarchar(MAX)) as Path,

PostID, AddedBy, AddedDate, ForumID, ParentPostID, Title, Body,

Approved, Closed, Sticky, ViewCount, ReplyCount, LastPostBy, LastPostDate, UpdatedBy, UpdatedDate, Active

FROM Post

WHERE ParentPostID IS NULL

UNION ALL

SELECT cte.Url, cte.Level + 1,

LOWER(cte.Path + '-' + CAST(P.PostID AS VARCHAR(MAX))),

P.PostID, P.AddedBy, P.AddedDate, P.ForumID, P.ParentPostID, P.Title, P.Body,

P.Approved, P.Closed, P.Sticky, P.ViewCount, P.ReplyCount, P.LastPostBy, P.LastPostDate, P.UpdatedBy, P.UpdatedDate, P.Active

FROM Post P

INNER JOIN cte ON P.ParentPostID = cte.PostID

)

SELECT * FROM cte WHERE Url = 'entity-framework' ORDER BY Path, ParentPostID, PostID, AddedDate ASC

• Sure , investigate the use of heirarchyId.

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• kirkdm01 (1/23/2012)

I was wondering if someone here knew how to write another select statement that wasn't a cte. This displays a list of posts in their heirarchy. Does anyone else know how to write this better. I need a Level and Url the root url of the post

Probably not without changing datatypes as Dave has suggested. If performance is the problem, try putting an index on ParentPostID.

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

• To increase performance of this as suggested create index on ParentPostID and add all columns in select as included.

Thanks,
    GG;-)

• how do you create an index on ParentPostID im new to SQL so im just learning. What do i do

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188783.aspx

Refer Example G. Creating an index with included (non-key) columns

Thanks,
    GG;-)

• But doesn't HeirarchyId only have one root where posts have more than one root eg PostParentID = null then the children, I thought heirarchyId has one root

• PostParentID is one

Thanks,
    GG;-)

• kirkdm01 (1/24/2012)

how do you create an index on ParentPostID im new to SQL so im just learning. What do i do

What's your working environment, Kirk? Are you on your own/do you have a DBA etc? What changes can you make to table structures? Is this study or work?

[font="Arial"]Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies[/font]

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this[/url].

Understanding and using APPLY, (I)[/url] and (II)[/url] Paul White[/url]

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins[/url] / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url] Jeff Moden[/url]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply