Alternavite to RDP on Prod server

• Hi gurus,

I know RDP on Prod server is bad which take lots of resources. I use (have installed SSMS on my laptop) client tool using my laptop. Is this the best and only option to connect to Prod servers? Are there any other way? and how about the accessing event views logs?

• Yep. RDP is very bad for managing SQL Server. For stuff like services, event viewer, etc you can right-click on those things locally and and select "manage another computer" and select your server. Note that certain AD and firewall policies may block that type of thing. You may have to work that out with a sys Admin.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. How about best way to connect to SSMS on Prod?

• Don't. Run SSMS on your local machine and connect to SQL running on prod.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Dan121 (6/2/2015)

I know RDP on Prod server is bad which take lots of resources

Erm, no, actually no it doesn't. And just because someone can RDP to the server it doesn't mean they have to be an administrator. Most people just dump someone into the administrators group to allow them to RDP because it's what they perceive as the required permission set, in fact there is an actual group to allow RDP so that administrator is not required. It's all down to how you secure your Windows server.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Gila. Did not get your 'don't'? Can you please explain.

• You asked how to connect to Management Studio that's running on the server. You don't. You run SSMS locally and connect to the SQL instance from there.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • oh, I didn't mean that. I meant, I connect sql server prod instance from my laptop using SSMS. Thanks for you time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply