AlwayOn 2012 Avaiability Group Listener DNS resolving to DR Node

• Hi,

We are rolling out the use of Availability Group listeners to our SQL Server 2012 Environment which has a 2 node multi-subnet cluster. The Primary is R/W and the Secondary is a non-readable node that would be manually failed over to in a DR scenario

I have set up the AGL and asked the sysadmins to create a DNS record in both subnets with fixed IP's.

The issue I have having is that when I ask the app developers to connect to the databases using the AGL it is totally random whether the AGL resolves to the Primary or DR node - as a result that are having problems getting their apps to connect.

I was thinking of asking the sys admins to remove the DNS record in the DR subnet and then add it back in should we need to fail over - but I was thinking there must be a better way.

Would be great to hear from anyone who has the same setup,

Cheers.

• I ran into this issue and I believe we got around it by specifying 'MultiSubNetFailover=True' in the connection string when connecting to the listener.

• Pending if your connection string level is recent enough that may not be possible and you will need to change RegisterAllProvidersIP to 0.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/alwaysonpro/archive/2014/06/03/connection-timeouts-in-multi-subnet-availability-group.aspx

This will require DNS changes on failover*

• Thanks so much for the feedback - it has solved my issue - I will patch the .net framework where I can so we can use the 'MultiSubNetFailover=True parameter and I have also gone through the steps in the link and can confirm all is OK since I have done that.

Once again many thanks - this is a big win for me :w00t:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply