Always on Availability Group

• I am trying to setup always on AG group for two nodes.I am looking for prerequisite ip address needed.

So my understanding is

I need total of 3 IP address

IP address for Cluster name and Listener

Node 1 - virtual ip

Node 2 - virtual ip

Correct me if i am missing anything?

• If your AAG is going to be in one subnet you will need at minimum one IP address for each server. If your servers are physical, or your virtual infrastructure doesnt provide HA in the network connection, you will need one redundant network adapter with an IP address for redundant cluster communications.

You will need one IP address for the failover cluster hosting the availability group

you will need one IP for each availability group listener

If your availability group is in two subnets, you will need one IP address per availability group, per subnet, and one IP address for the failover cluster per subnet the AAG traverses

• Sorry didn't provide the details . Hope i have covered this time. B

It would be on Multi Subnet. So i have two standalone SQL Servers on a physical box. Node1 is already built on primary location with different subnet and Node2 is on DR location with a different subnet.

So i just need 1 ip address with cluster name to manage node1 and node2 right?

Wanted to ensure before i request the ip addresses, i want to make sure if i am asking all the IP's as needed.

• Ok So continuation to my previous response what i found is,

1 ip for cluster name (Would this be static IP)

1 ip for Listener DNS name (Static IP)

• If the cluster is in two subnets, you will need two IP addresses for the cluster and two IP addresses for each listener.

I can't remember if 2014 supported multiple subnet AAG failover, but if it does, then you will need two IP addresses for each listener.

You'll also want to reduce the TTL on the cluster dns resource records by using set-clusterParameter so it doesn't take whatever your normal TTL is to fail over

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply