An error occurred while starting mirroring

• Error ... "The server network address "TCP://servername.domain.com:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)"

We are facing this error while configuring the Database Mirroring on different machines.

We tried all the below possible resolutions...

1. Mirror Server database is restored with NO RECOVERY option.

2. Latest Log file is applied on mirror server database

3. Telnet the mirror server

4. Firewall is turn off

5. Endpoint status is STARTED

6. Granting permissions to ENDPOINTS on Principal and Mirror server

But still we are facing the same issues :w00t: while configuring the database mirroring.

Appreciate your any suggestions...

Abhijit - http://abhijitmore.wordpress.com

• Please check the below site. It might help you as this error is generic and can be for different reasons at different scenarios.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqldatabasemirroring/thread/dd4bc7cf-32da-44ec-9850-b1a70d7a4123

Thanks,

Lakshmi

• Are both endpoints using the same encryption algorithm (they must use the same encryption algorithm to be able to communicate)?

Does the OS support the specified encryption algorithm (the default encryption algorithm is not supported by Windows 2000)?

Can you successfully ping/tracert each server from the other server (might be a routing issue between the servers)?

Verified that SQL Server is the process listening on the mirroring endpoint port (telnet only tells you that something is listening, not what. Use the net stat command to determine what process is using that port)?

What are the SQL Server service accounts? Domain accounts? Built-in accounts (Local system, network service, etc)?

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Check if you use ip address instead of servername and check if the user have enough permission on both the server, it should be a domain account? If firewall is blocking that port?

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"

• Double check all your permissions, security is 90% of these issues. Ensure you can login to each machine using the configured credentials. If you are not on a domain with Active Directory you will need certificates.

• Check the following points:

TCP/IP PORT

SQL Browser gotta be running

If you use an Account set to Admin group

Check SQL service SPN Registration

Issues like yours probably comes from some missing configuration;

Regards,

Best Regards,
    Marcos Rosa / marcosfac@gmail.com

• SQL Browser does NOT need to be running. The accoutn should NOT be a member of the admins group. This is NOT related to SPN's.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• I have run into the same issue. I was trying to set this up on SQL 2008 R2 / Win7 64 dev box.

Ports are open, mirroring is started on both instances, endpoints configured, db is restored with no recovery and a new log applied every time I have attempted.

OP: Did you ever find a resolution to the issue?

• Are all the network connections on all nodes (and witness if applicable) seeing the network as "domain"? I have found in the past differing network recognition has caused the issue described above. Basically, it can be a DNS or other networking issue, not a SQL Server one. Can you resolved the FQDN outside of SQL? Try pinging the FQDN.

It's been a while and a few clients ago, so I will check my notes and post something informative if I can find it.

Meanwhile, read this: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/grahamk/archive/2008/12/08/database-mirroring-error-1418-troubleshooter.aspx

• dennisdonohoe (9/27/2010)

I have run into the same issue. I was trying to set this up on SQL 2008 R2 / Win7 64 dev box.

Ports are open, mirroring is started on both instances, endpoints configured, db is restored with no recovery and a new log applied every time I have attempted.

OP: Did you ever find a resolution to the issue?

And you are also restoring the log with NORECOVERY, right?

For single log:

RESTORE LOG ISDBingo

FROM DISK = 'e:\DBName.bak'

WITH FILE=1, NORECOVERY

For Multiple logs:

RESTORE LOG ISDBingo

FROM DISK = 'e:\DBName.bak'

WITH FILE=2, NORECOVERY

GO

RESTORE LOG ISDBingo

FROM DISK = 'e:\DBname.bak'

WITH FILE=3, NORECOVERY

• Yes, norecovery on log restores as well.

I have deployed "enterprise" level mirrors twice before and have had no issues there, both up and running without issues since implementation. That is probably why this issue is bothering me so much, as I feel like I should be able to figure this out!

One of the more senior DBA's here tried the same setup with mirroring on a single box with separate instances, Win7, SQL 2K8R2, and he has run into the same issue and he cannot find the root cause either.

• Check the SQL Server log. This sounds like an issue with encryption.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply