Another Date question

• I am trying to query some things in our database off of a certain date column which is in the format mm/dd/yy. the probem is that the date is stored as varchar 255 so i cant seem to get it to pull everything after a certain date? is there a way to get this information without changing the format of the column?

thanks

• Try SET DATEFORMAT MDY at the beginning of your stored-procedure.  Also, what day is giving you problems?

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• Chuck, this is certainly possible.  The outline of what you need to do is

select data1, data2, etc

from tablelist

where (change varchar field to date) > targetdate

This does not require you to change the datatype of the underlying physical field - this conversion is performed in the query and then normal date operations will work within the query.  This 'change to date', however, is not straightforward.  Here's some sample code that will give you an idea:

declare @strDate varchar(255), @date datetime, @strDate2 varchar(255)

set @strDate = '12/25/04'

set @strdate2 = '20' + right(@strDate,2) + '/' + left(@strdate,2) + '/' + substring(@strdate,4,2)

set @date = cast(@strdate2 as datetime)

select @strdate2, @date

The principle here is to change the varchar field (@strDate) to another varchar (@strdate2), in the format

yyyy/mm/dd (to get to something that is standard regardless of the country in which the query is executed) .

and then to convert that to a date using CAST.  It is probably possible to do this all in one line if you have to - I expanded it out for clarity.

Note that I have assumed that all of your dates are post 2000.

Regards

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• well the day i need is January 1 2007 forward it is in the future becasue it is the day the information is to be deleted from our system.

also im not using a stored procedure i am just trying to query

so would it look like

select city_code, outlet_code,SET DATEFORMAT MDY (delete_date)

from ......

where delete_date > 'January 1 2007'

thanks

• SET DATEFORMAT MDY

SELECT city_code, outlet_code, delete_date

from table1

WHERE CAST(delete_date AS datetime) > '20070101'

Andy

•  

select city_code, outlet_codefrom ......

where convert(datetime,delete_date,1) > '20070101'

• Thank you all so much for the help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply