Another silly question

• Hi All,

I am looking for quick reference in my server which can tell me directly either its the physical server or virtual server.

Can anyone suggest some checkpoint/s?

If I do ipconfig /all, will it give me some hint to detect or the only option is to search the vmware tool in server and presence verifies the virtual server....:hehe::hehe:

----------
    Ashish

• I would run the query

select @@version

and look at the output, towards the end part of the result. If it's on a Virtual machine, it includes (VM) at the end..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Bru Medishetty (2/15/2010)

I would run the query

select @@version

and look at the output, where the end part shoes if nothing if it's a physical server and if it's on a Virtual machine, it includes (VM) at the end..

That's not correct, or I'm misreading what you wrote.

Here's the result I get from @@version on a VM:

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (Intel X86) Jul 9 2008 14:43:34 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 6.0 <X86> (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)

Doesn't say "VM" anywhere in there, but it's definitely a VM.

The easiest way I know to tell if a machine is virtual or not is to ask the admin.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• :-D:-D:-D:-D

asking the admin.....OK, I will tell someone in my admin team to provide the answer on this site 😉

----------
    Ashish

• Well Gus, I would agree with you in asking the System Admin that makes more sense and is more appropriate..

When I ran the query mentioned in previous post..

I get this

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64) Mar 29 2009 10:11:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: ) (VM)

I also checked with another one which is on a dedicated machine and did not see it..

Interestingly I can't guess why it does not display at your system..

That was what on top of my head at this instance about finding..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• For the record, I get the same sort of results as Gus.

This would be a really nice thing to be able to find - help my automated inventory efforts 😉

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GSquared (2/15/2010)

Bru Medishetty (2/15/2010)

I would run the query

select @@version

and look at the output, where the end part shoes if nothing if it's a physical server and if it's on a Virtual machine, it includes (VM) at the end..

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (RTM) - 10.0.1600.22 (Intel X86) Jul 9 2008 14:43:34 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 6.0 <X86> (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)

The easiest way I know to tell if a machine is virtual or not is to ask the admin.

Bru is correct BUGGGG. Gus, Looks like you still did not apply SP1.

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • GT-897544 (2/15/2010)

GSquared (2/15/2010)

I would run the query

select @@version

EnjoY!

The forum is SQL 7,2000. I seriously doubt that applying SQL 2008 SP 1 to an SQL 2000 machine will be useful. (Unless the question is in the wrong forum.) As for the server I checked, yes, it hasn't had SP 1 applied, but there are reasons for that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I think the important thing to note is that the most assured method to know which SQL server is a VM or not, one should coordinate with the SysAdmin team. Gus and I both saw that the results were different for us. This would indicate that the results may vary from server to server (results of the query).

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GSquared (2/16/2010)

GT-897544 (2/15/2010)

GSquared (2/15/2010)

I would run the query

select @@version

EnjoY!

The forum is SQL 7,2000. I seriously doubt that applying SQL 2008 SP 1 to an SQL 2000 machine will be useful. (Unless the question is in the wrong forum.) As for the server I checked, yes, it hasn't had SP 1 applied, but there are reasons for that.

Apologies, May be wrong forum. Gus, i think you also posted this result from SQL 2008 SSMS. I don't think anyone would like to apply SQL 2008 SP1 to SQL 2000 machine :hehe:. Is this server SQL 2008 machine?

EnjoY!

EnjoY!
  • no its sql server 2000....

but interested to know that there is different result of query in different version/sps

----------
    Ashish

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply