"Answered" Posts

• Lynn Pettis (3/4/2009)

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed that the post that started the party had been deleted. Unfortunately that post still lives on in this thread since I had quoted it in a reply. I hadn't noticed that he deleted most of his posts, however, until Jeff pointed it out.

Doing that just makes this thread a lot less intelligible, I mean, what are we complaining about now since he deleted his part of the thread. People that read this thread now will have no real idea what was going on here.

Humm.. that's what I was wondering, cos When i actually posted my opinions my post was at the end of the 3rd page and the next reply was in the 4th page, but to the next reply it came back to 3rd page again , I was confused at that point (hope i am making sense:P)..........but still they live on your quotes Lynn.....:hehe:

• So, Mangal, this thread was giving you headache. So sorry, but it was really self inflicted. Curious why you felt you needed to delete most of your posts. Not very professional in my opinion.

Unfortunately, many of those comments had been quoted in various replies, so they still exist, people just need to look a little harder to find them.

• Hahaha...

Jeff Thank for advice.

In some of those deleted posts, I also mentioned that my self has asked such questions 100times... yes 100 times, or may be more than that. I'm not talkng about SSC, I'm new here. But don't know why all of you din't quote and notice that. Funny.

I never declared myself as I give only right advice. I also make mistake, like I did when I suggested something for SSC forums. The thread started for "answered" post feature.

But I seen some people asking such questions to every 2nd thread? Only god knows why?

Sometimes even to simplest of questions. If I seen something shouldn't I raise a point being a member of SSC?

I'm new to SSC doesn't mean I don't know the dos and don'ts of online forums.

I don't need to get certificate from you.

I can see the attitude of some of the people here, who are intentionally offending me, and if because of my points some of you get offended, that is unintentional. Those were my general comments about forums offenders(every forums has some, please try to understand. In your eyes currently I'm the one.), but every perosn reading this thread thinking that I'm just talking about HIM ONLY.

Even

John Smith

• Mangal Pardeshi (3/4/2009)

Those were my general comments about forums offenders

Tell me, if I were to drop into the MSDN forums (which seems to be your primary haunt) as a 'newbie' and post something that said (among other things)

"I've had a look at some of the top ranked people here and I don't think they're very helpful"

How do you think that would be taken?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Ahh, thank very much Gila for asking this question.

If I suggested that a number of the top posters there were useless, would I really get those same top people that I've just accused of been useless coming over and saying "You're right, we are useless."?

Note, I'm not saying in the case where I suggest privately that one person isn't carrying their weight, I'm saying where I come along and publicly, with no proof and no justification state that I've looked at the recent posts by the top posters (plural) and have found that they (in general) aren't very helpful.

But none of the moderators here bother to ask me. I could have mailed him the links, then it's upto him and his team to decide. On msdn we Moderators discuss such issues on our Yahoo groups, and do take some actions.

Because this forum works differently to MSDN. Steve (who, along with Brian, are the only moderators) have a very light hand and only step in when things get too far out of line. He's not likely to censure someone for posting replies that you feel aren't useful

Steve relies on the regular posters (the ones that you implied aren't very helpful) to handle things most of the time.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Hahaha...

Jeff Thank for advice.

In some of those deleted posts, I also mentioned that my self has asked such questions 100times... yes 100 times, or may be more than that. I'm not talkng about SSC, I'm new here. But don't know why all of you din't quote and notice that. Funny.

I never declared myself as I give only right advice. I also make mistake, like I did when I suggested something for SSC forums. The thread started for "answered" post feature.

But I seen some people asking such questions to every 2nd thread? Only god knows why?

Sometimes even to simplest of questions. If I seen something shouldn't I raise a point being a member of SSC?

I can see the attitude of some of the people here, who are intentionally offending me, and if because of my points some of you get offended, that is unintentional. Those were my general comments about forums offenders(every forums has some, please try to understand. In your eyes currently I'm the one.), but every perosn reading this thread thinking that I'm just talking about HIM ONLY.

Even

Okay, I have a problem here. You are offended by our response to your post about "bad responses" (and you have to go back to my reply to you where I quoted your post that you have deleted) but we aren't supposed to be offended by your remarks? Sorry, but it doesn't work that way.

• NOw this is not done.

My topic was, Answered Posts. Nobody is talking about that and stve has closed my other thread.

You should have locked this thread Steve.

But I know i'm in minority.

If other thread is unlocked then I will discuss there, but now I'm leaving this discussion.

God bless you all.

John Smith

• Just to add another point to my score - Something tells me we haven't heard the last of Mangal........

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• Mangal9i (3/4/2009)

My topic was, Answered Posts. Nobody is talking about that.

If you stick around here, get used to this. Threads drift off topic fairly often and, as I mentioned, Steve moderates lightly so he won't force or control the direction of a thread.

Gail Shaw

• Mangal9i (3/4/2009)

NOw this is not done.

My topic was, Answered Posts. Nobody is talking about that and stve has closed my other thread.

You should have locked this thread Steve.

If other thread is unlocked then I will discuss there, but now I'm leaving this discussion.

God bless you all.

First, several people have commented about your original post. Unfortunately, you made a subsequent post (that you later deleted) that offended quite a few of us. And apparently we aren't supposed to be offended but you are offended by our response. We have been quite professional in our responses to you. There has been no name calling or cursing.

Steve felt it appropriate to close your other thread, and that has also offended you. Sorry, get over it.

• Mangal9i (3/4/2009)

don't think that you are in minority and I am sure no one here want that too. Of course you have your right to say but not that it would hurt someone round here and no one is looking for Highest points or posts, you have to understand that, as you said you are a new bee to this forum probably you need some time to get used to this so called wonderful forum.

It's just you have made some wrong comments which did not seem to be pleasant at all. I hope you realized it now:cool:

• Mangal9i (3/4/2009)

Steve just locked the double post thread, directing all traffic back to this one. The first posts are the same and even the topic is the same except for a few quotation marks. Not something to get all huffy about I would think. But then... I guess "I'm in minority".

As for the mark as answered or marking the best answer, I can see that one getting abused a lot and giving more misdirection than good direction.

And as for asking "Why are you doing this?" or "What do you want to accomplish?", the people helping are just trying to get a better idea for what's going on to provide a solution. There is no ONE TRUE WAY to write code, some solutions work better than others and those helping out figure if they know a bit more about what's going on, they might be able to come up with a better solution.

-- Kit

• Mangal9i (3/4/2009)

Hahaha...

Jeff Thank for advice.

Even

Heh... what do you expect? Your attitude and negative remarks have offended nearly everyone on this forum that have seen those remarks. And, if as you say, you've made so many mistakes yourself, would you quit raggin' on the rest of us... r-e-l-a-x. 😉 Stop trolling.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Noticed, have I, that Mangal has deleted all but 2 posts of his, the original post and two others.

• Hi,

I don't know if marking posts as "answered" will help much. I'm thinking about using the answered flag in a search as well as flagging what is still outstanding. A lot of time threads are started as "HELP ME" or "URGENT" and the thread title doesn't really indicate what the question is about. Not to mention that often, a question is posed and as replies come in and things are clarified, it turns out an entirely different question is being asked than what was in the original post. The answer that comes in could be 100% correct, but if it turns out the poster is asking a different question (or left out important details), how is it determined that the Q has been answered?

What about marking threads as "abandoned"? This way if the person who started thre thread doesn't come back to clear up what the question was about, these types of threads can be ignored during a search. Also, these threads would likely fall off the main page a bit more quickly if the poster doesn't want to explain or give feedback.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply