Anti-Offshore

• I said "tariff and non-tariff-barriers to trade".

You said "this isn't a tariff. That's a tax."

This is a "non-tariff-barrier to trade" and just like tariffs, NTB are equally if not moreso isolationist.

There is this enormous perception that the US is open to other countries. That is simply not true. Try immigrating to the US. Try importing a ton of sugar. World spot price for a pound of sugar is 13 cents. Domestic spot price for a pound of sugar is 25 cents (+100%). That is the result of both tariff and NTB to trade. Corn Sugar is not an economically viable sweetener, but it exists in many products in the US because the NTB make it viable.

There is a preference for goods and services from the US implicit in every government contract: geographic proximity and "friends of friends" networks. More than that and we are just as bad as the countries that you (unfairly) disparage for blocking our access to their markets.

PS - What the heck does this have to do with SQL?

• Nothing to do with SQL, just a topic of debate. Only relating to tech in terms of not offshoring government contracts.

Never said the US is perfect, but it's much easier to move finished goods and products into the US than many other countries. We for sure have some barriers to trade and I'm willing to compromise on goods, but less so on services, especially for our local and state goverments.

Don't have the answer. Wish I did, but my opinion is that we limit the dollars our local goverments spend to companies doing business in the state.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply