Any difference between 2 dtsx Files

• In Visual Studio (BIDS) after you build your project you end up with two dtsx files. One in the solution root and one in the bin folder. Does anyone know the difference between these two? Or how to just create one file from the build?

• nick.latocha (9/16/2015)

In Visual Studio (BIDS) after you build your project you end up with two dtsx files. One in the solution root and one in the bin folder. Does anyone know the difference between these two? Or how to just create one file from the build?

The 'solution root' version is what you are editing and the built version is created when you build it (assuming you're not using the project-deployment model, which builds ispacs).

After building, the two files should be the same (I think – all my stuff builds into ispacs).

What problem is this causing you?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks Phil. No issue really - I'm working on getting files in the SVN.

All our packages are run via dtexc on a dedicated server - so trying to decide which of the two files is best to deploy. Like you say if they are both the same then there is no problem really.

Thanks Phil. No issue really - I'm working on getting files in the SVN.

All our packages are run via dtexc on a dedicated server - so trying to decide which of the two files is best to deploy. Like you say if they are both the same then there is no problem really.

I'd recommend doing a 'build' as part of the deployment and then deploying from /bin.

No need to put the /bin versions in SVN – they're disposable (like exe's).

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I was going to do this - but can't find a way of building 2008r2 packages from msbuild. Is there something I'm missing?

I was going to do this - but can't find a way of building 2008r2 packages from msbuild. Is there something I'm missing?

Not at all. Devenv.com can be used to do command-line builds for SSIS.

At least, works for 2012 and 2014. I wasn't doing CI for SSIS packages in 2008.

• Thanks will give this a go.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply