Any huge gotchas with installing SQL 2012?

• I need to get a SQL 2012 box stood up very quickly. Are there any huge gotchas in installing 2012? I'll be installing it on a VM with Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. I'm just wondering if there are any huge issues I should be aware of. Thanks for any tips!

• I've done a bunch of 2012 installs now and never had any problems. SP1 is out and it's worth doing the service pack. Only bug with the SP installer is it's missing the bootstrap file path at the end.

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

• Great, thanks so much. I was hoping there were no huge issues.

• I've run into a couple issues with SSIS

We run a lot of SSIS jobs all day... several thousand.

SSISDB maintenace if you're using Project Deployment is poor by default.

It defaults to keeping 365 days worth of logs. For us, having 2012 for about 45 days we had over 175 GB of data in SSISDB.

Suddenly we started getting timeouts on the SSIS jobs. This was because Microsoft didn't put any default indexes on SSISDB's tables... a few indexes and chaning the retention period down to something useful and the timeout errors seem to have gone away.

So if you have a lot of SSIS stuff, just make sure to spend more time watching your SSISDB in the early stages 🙂

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Mark, thanks for the info. You do have a lot of packages! I'll watch out for that.

• I thought I'd update this for posterity... I found the 2012 install to be pretty straghtforward, which was great. The features are slightly different on 2012 compared to 2008 so I had to research the new ones. Reporting Services was easy to set up, which was awesome since I hadn't done it before. The only install that was different was Books Online, which is setup to be accessed through the internet. I found a very nice blog describing the BOL install - it's written by Kumar Vivek and it worked like a charm. Here's the link: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kvivek/archive/2012/03/10/download-books-online-product-documentation-for-sql-server-2012.aspx

On a side note, after I pushed hard to get the 2012 install done quickly, the vendor came back and told us that they're not ready for 2012 yet. So now I get to go back and install 2008... ;-(

• You may want to be aware of this major problem in SP1.

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/770630/msiexec-exe-processes-keep-running-after-installation-of-sql-server-2012-sp1#tabs

A.J.
    DBA with an attitude

• Hi Mark,

My client has started to run into timeout / locking problems when his scheduled SSIS packages are executed. There were no problems before migrating to the SSIS catalog in SQL2012.

Could you perhaps elaborate on what indexes need to be created in SSISDB? Also, how did you change the retention period?

Best regards, Daniel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply