Any MetaFrame Experts here?

• Hey good people,

Haven't been around much lately and have had to wear a few new hats at work.

Long story short, I was approached yesterday by our Metaframe guru who wants to move the SQL Server data store for an old, large Metaframe XPe farm. This farm serves several mission critical clincal applications in a large health care system.

I suppose my main question from anyone who has done this is, what are the pitfalls of moving a production data store? Also, what are the most common bottlenecks on data stores and what's the best way of avoiding them? I know very little about the server where the store is located as our web developers are in charge of this, but am hoping to get a look at it early next week. Right now, all I know is that it's a clustered SQL 2005 that pretty much handles all the back end stuff for our web portal.

Thanks in advance...hope you all have a great Friday!

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• I'm not a MetaFrame expert, been years since I worked with one. However moving a data store should be no different than with any app.

The thing you'll want to do is quiet the system, turn off the Metaframe so the data doesn't change. You can have a full backup already restored on the new server and then just get the last log backup and restore that.

I'm not sure where you need to repoint the Metaframe to be sure it can find the new data store, but assuming you find that, take the old store offline and then turn on the Metaframe. That will quickly tell you if you've correctly moved the connection strings.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply