Any SQL gurus / n00bs that are closet musicians?

• Schadenfreude-Mei (1/21/2010)

What do you mean 'SP' :ermm:

He was questioning the spelling of mesmerizing.

• Yeah, tosscrosby-60625 is right, it's like a small guitar. There's a few different sizes that can be tuned in various ways and even different shapes including a banjo-style body. And while it's most popular now for island type music it was pretty popular for jazz back in the day and I actually prefer playing the blues on my little guys (one of them is actually electric and does some great metallic distortion, if only I could afford the resonator uke...). If you youtube ukulele you can finds tons of people doing al sorts of music with them. George Formby is an old example of non-island music.

And I agree about the kind of annoying part, you should see the faces people make when I pull it out. The versatility of the instrument is always a surprise to people though. Even my fiancée has conceded to the fact that it's not a bad instrument and doesn't frown so much when I talk about buying more of them. 😀

• When I was doing my college I used to sing... That was long time back. After that I have made one public performance for the Xmas dinner in 2008 in front of my co workers.. (I sucked that night hehehehe)

Does this count as musician? 😀

-Roy

• Used to play clarinets (classical and jazzplayed in a couple of jazz groups and in a classical quintet way back when) and piano (classical) and was reasonably good on clarinet and reasonably bad on piano. Also used to sing opera, operetta, musicals, folk/traditional music. Decades ago I used to be able to get free drinks + dinner bed and breakfast in return for a couple of hours singing in a bar, but I haven't done that in the last 41 years. Now I just sing folk/traditional (Scottish and Irish in our three languages) in a rather old and tired voice. I'm beginning to pick up some songs in Spanish because there's an extremely good music bar close to where I live in the winter (mostly traditional stuff like Cielito lindo or Ave Maria en el morro or Un canto a Galicia, but also some more modern stuff like Los ojos de la española que yo amé). Some day I'll find time to learn guitar (acoustic, classical and flamenco) but I've been saying that for more than fourty years now and still haven't got round to starting.

Tom

• Hello:

I am currently producing a documentary about the phenomenon of "closet musicians", interviewing people with high profile careers, who are also active musicians in their spare time. The purpose of the documentary is to shed light on why people play music in their spare time, how it affects their careers and work performance, how it affects them as human beings, etc.

We would be interested in speaking with programmers. Perhaps there is another aspect that you may be able to contribute to this topic, perhaps there are anecdotes or examples from your work that could tie into what we are trying to convey.

If you are interested at all in participating in some way, please let me know. You can reach me at the contact points below.

Sincerely,

Eckart Seeber

Email: eseeber@mscbl.com

• I play Acoustic guitar from last few years .. not dedicated as so far. Just few days back bought new Yamaha F310, my second guitar and I love it .

I wish I can have enough money to buy a drum set and sound proof house 😛

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    संकेत कोकणे

• Also I'm so much excited for the concert by Guns N Roses in dec 2012 (First time in INDIA) 😀 .

I know without slash ,it will not be the same GNR type concerts , but I respect new lineup and hope they can give a joy to us .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    संकेत कोकणे

Viewing 7 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply