Any valid reason to use a unique column in composite index?

• Does anybody know a good reason why we would build a composite index using RID where RID is a PK?

index = [RID,Col2,Col3]

My not so Common sense dictates that if RID is a PK (unique), then by querying on RID, you will get a unique record, and no further condition should be needed to refine the results. So then a composite should only contain non unique columns.

But maybe there is a valid reason I am not aware of since a DBA I am not.

I cannot find any info regarding this issue, but all the examples always have non unique columns in the composite key.

Catch-all queries done right [/url]
    Gail Shaw's Performance Blog[/url]

• Like that there's seldom a reason, especially if you're always doing equality matches on the column. If the columns were in another order, there could be a use.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks Gail.

Would you even consider this as a way to do avoid a lookup to the table for col2,and 3?

• Not unless the primary key is enforced by a nonclustered index.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Thanks Gail

• I have used a unique value in a compound index before, but not one that was already indexed, let alone the PK on the table and, I assume, the clustered index.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I usually try to avoid non-unique indexes, adding the primary key after the key fields; in this case, an index (Col2, Col3, RID) has sense for me. It is a common practice?

Francesc

• Hi,

Composite Index is used when you want to have only the Unique Records in a combination of more than one column..

For Instance, in Email DB, you want to have unique email id from a particular Competition webpage then Create Composite Key on SourceID(refering to Particular Competion) and Email ID. This is will capture the email id once from a particular competion page.

Regards

Palash Gorai

• frfernan (9/29/2011)

I usually try to avoid non-unique indexes, adding the primary key after the key fields; in this case, an index (Col2, Col3, RID) has sense for me. It is a common practice?

Francesc

I think it is common practice if your table is a heap since if you exclude RID from the index, the query will need a lookup from the index to the table to retrieve the rid if it was not included.

But then the first question is, why is the table a heap?

But if the table is clustered on RID, my guess is that the RID is implicitly included in the non clustered index as part of a pointer to the table record so it can satisfy a query which outputs an RID with the index by itself without io to the table.

So an index on [col2]when table clustered on RID should work better than an index with [col2,RID] since the index is smaller but should work the same.

Of course of this I am not 100% so hopefully we can have more participation. So I'll start a new topic.

• One possible use of an index on (RID, Col2, Col3) would be as a covering index for some query - if your table's columns are RID, Col2, Col3, BigVarcharCol4, BigVarcharCol5, BigVarcharCol6, ..., and all you need is Col2 and Col3 for a range of RIDs, a scan on the smaller index could be more efficient than the corresponding clustered index scan.

• frfernan (9/29/2011)

I usually try to avoid non-unique indexes, adding the primary key after the key fields; in this case, an index (Col2, Col3, RID) has sense for me. It is a common practice?

No. A column should be added to an index only if it's needed in that index. If it's not needed, it should not be specified. Conversely, if a column is needed it should be specified and SQL's behaviour regarding the clustered key not replied upon.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply