Any way to List all SQL Server Instances in SQL Management Studio

• All

I have a production environment with 30 instances of SQL Server.  We just did an upgrade to SQL Server 2005 and I am having some minor issues with the new tools.

1. Is there a way to automaticly log-in to all of my SQL Server Instances like the old SQL Server Manager?  It is a pain to have to do this manually every morning.
    2. Is there a way to open the Query window in seperate windows.  The new tabs or MDI windows are nice, but I usually have 100 windows open across my 30 environments and having them in one place I know that I will make a mistake to the wrong environment.  I know that I can open the Managment Studio multiple times but that takes me back to problem #1...lol

Thanks in advance for any help, hints or suggestions.

Eric Peterson

• #1: View - Registered servers. Create your registrations. When login, you will see a list of registered servers. I registerd 2 as Windows Authentication and one as SQL Server authentication with remember password checked.  When re-opened MS tried to prompt me for password for the local server, I dismissed the dialog box and on the left was a list of my registerd servers. I was able to expand each of them without any additional authentication.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for

Eric  

• #2 - No, but you can still use QA (isqlw.exe) on 2K5 (at least for the time being)

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• My problem is once I have my servers registered and enter the login and pwd and checked the Remember Password and save it.  I go to another server and work and come back to that 1st server, and the Remember password is unselected again.  That's what is annoying.  When I open a query file, I get login dialog box to enter in the server, login, and pwd again.  Any idea?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply