Any word on when the next major release of Sql Server will be?

• We're on Sql Server 2005 at the minute, and I've been tasked with doing a bit of research into whether to upgrade to 2008, or whether it would be worth waiting till 2010.

As I understand it, Sql Server 2010 is not going to have any database engine changes, but will have some BI additions. These additions I can't see as being of particular interest to us, so my thoughts at the moment would be to switch to 2008 and await the post-2010 major release.

I think management are trying to avoid going through any upgrade whatsoever, and was wondering what the word on the street was regarding future major releases (2012 maybe?). I haven't had much joy with Google, but most likely I'm not searching for the right terms.

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bite-sized fiction (with added teeth) [/url]

• There's been no official announcement beyond the BI upgrades, so far as I am aware. However, the updates such as Policy Management are certainly worth the upgrade now.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• K. Brian Kelley (2/17/2009)

There's been no official announcement beyond the BI upgrades, so far as I am aware. However, the updates such as Policy Management are certainly worth the upgrade now.

Thank you, Policy Management will turn out to be a big tool in my arsenal to try and convince management to upgrade from Sql2005 to 2008

• I believe the next planned major release is 2011, but you know how it goes with Microsoft and the release dates. They made an announcement a while back to expect a major release every 3 years, so 2005 ... 2008 ... 2011.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Thanks Alvin

I got the impression that they were talking of release timescales more in line with 36 months, hence why I thought 2008 -> 2010 (factoring in the Microsoft delay factor!) --> 2012 (not necessarily major releases)

3 years makes more sense (but 2011 is quite a way away nonetheless!)

• It's irrelevant

but I am just happy if they can call 2008 Enterprise edition the next SQL Server 2011 I'd be happy enough

I care about the features, not so much the version/year in the name 🙂

I want compression (backup and row/page) and some Enterprise features

not another new version with features that I can't use 😀

SQLServerNewbie MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply