Application Log and SQL Server Agent

• The Application Log on my server is filled up by messages indicating successfull maintenance plan jobs.

Is there a way to have only messages indicating failed jobs written to the Application Log?

I've tried choosing "When the job fails" for the "Write to Windows application event log" check box on the Notification tab of the job properties. But, I still get success messages in the Application Log.

I know I can increase the size of the Application Log and/or modify the overwrite settings. But, I'd prefer another solution.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I think what you're seeing is standard logging by SQL and not a result of the job. To test this theory, just run a backup from QA, you'll see it logged in the event log. I don't know if there is a way to turn that off or not.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• I have the same problem.  I have an enterprise software program running on top of SQL Server with 1000+ SQL Server Agent jobs running very frequently.  Ignore the reasons for this situation, and concentrate on the ill effect.  My Windows Application Event Log is useless now because it takes about 4 hours to fill it up with several MB of useless success notifications.

I concur with Andy.  The event records are generated by the standard SQL Server Log system.  Unfortunately, I have scoured the internet with no resolution for how to selectively turn this off.

I know the original post here is 1.5 years old, so I am posting this message (which offers no insight into the problem or the resolution) to revive this topic in hopes that a knowledgable person can offer us some real insight.

Scott

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply