Application Program to run a DTS package

• Hi,

I have created a DTS package which loads the data from XLS file to DB. i am now trying to create a Program(or User Interface) which will allow the user to specify the filename and then execute the package. Can anyone give me  an idea  to start with this task?

Regards,

Adi

p.s: would be great if someone can give me a link or recommend some reference book for this task.

• Depends what you mean by Program (or) User Interface.

Is it a Web Application (or) a Windows Application (or) built into SQL Server itself.

WebApplication: You need to create a form with the name of the filename. This form should submit to an action 'asp page' which should call the DTS object. Try to create a function in the DTS package with a global variable to which you can feed the input of the filename. This function will then call your existing ActiveXScript to do the current task.

Windows Application: Same as above.

SQL Server: Write a function say 'getFileName()'. Use a prompt function to which you can send the filename. This filename should be checked for proper format etc., before calling the existing ActiveXScript you are currently using.

• one way of doing this in DTS is though DTSrun utility 

1. create a ini file with following tags

[source]

FileName=c:\abc2005_04_10.txt

2. In Dts package create a Activex task with following code.

Function Main()

Dim gsConfigINIPath

gsConfigINIPath = DTSGlobalVariables("gsConfigINIPath").Value

Dim oPKG

Set oPKG = DTSGlobalVariables.Parent

Dim oAssignments

Dim oAssignment

'DTSTask_ DTSDynamicPropertiesTask_1 is the task described as the 'Properties From INI File task

Set oAssignments = oPKG.Tasks"DTSTask_DTSDynamicPropertiesTask_1").CustomTask.Assignments

For Each oAssignment In oAssignments

oAssignment.SourceIniFileFileName =gsConfigINIPath

Next

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

End Function

3. create a dynamic properties task where you can set properties for source

through .ini file name

and have a usual data transformation task.

So each day you just have to change the filename in .ini file.

Then run following command in cmd promt

DTSRun /N "PackageName" /G "{637535C5-8B40-4E39-8B01-18BC7827DE9A}" /F ".Dts file path" /A "gsConfigINIPath":"8"=".ini file path" /W "0"

Note :/G {Package GUID}

HTH

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply