Applying SQL 2008 R2 SP1

• Hopefully and easy one here.

What is best procedure to apply sp1 to a 2-node active\passive cluster? I already applied on active node. Do I failover and apply to the second node?

Thanks,

Morrisos

Mpls

• You don't have to failover the instance , just apply it to passive node. Actually, you should apply it to passive node first, then failover the instance , apply it to the other node after.

ddfg

• morrisos (8/17/2011)

Hopefully and easy one here.

What is best procedure to apply sp1 to a 2-node active\passive cluster? I already applied on active node. Do I failover and apply to the second node?

Thanks,

Morrisos

Mpls

how many instances do you have?

use the following from a command prompt on the passive node

all instances

SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x64-ENU.exe /allinstances /passive=1

specific instances

SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x64-ENU.exe /instancename = SQLinst1, SQLinst3 /passive=1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I have done this a couple of times already.

Apply to passive node first to have it update the binaries and Mgt. Studio files.

Fail over SQL Server then to patched passive node and verify all works fine.

Apply to second node to update the binaries there and Mgt. Studio files.

Once done you should fail SQL Server back over to original server to make sure failover works and SQL Server also runs OK on this patched node.

• Thanks for replies. Since I already had applied to active node I just failed over and applied to second newly active node. Everything seems fine even if this wasn't the best way to update.

Next service pack I will follow suggestions to do passive first then failover and do new passive node.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply