Architectural Changes in SQL Server 2005 over 2000

• Hi All,

This question has been asked frequently that:

What are the architectural changes in SQL Server 2005 which makes it so reliable, fast and robust over Sql Server 2000?

I have tried to explain it describing new features added in SS 2005. But core functionality changes is what they are looking for.

I have also gone through BOL, but does not find anything specific in this regard.At there new fuctionalities added are explained in detail.

So , please help and cite the core changes in the SS 2005 architectural changes over the SS 2000..

All responses are invited.

Thanks,:-)

Ankur

• It sounds like you're asking for changes in the database engine, as opposed to changes in the features. You're more likely to get a valid response on that directly from Microsoft than here. Honestly, I wouldn't expect a detailed answer from them, since to do that they'd pretty much have to reveal source code, and they aren't in that business.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Hi GSquared,

Thanks for your reply.

Can anyone provide some links where Architecture of SQL Server 2005 is explained clearly?

Ankur

• here is few points i got from sqlmag

sql 2005 arch. enhancements

1. statement level recomiples - (in sql 2000 its batch level recompile)

2. Parallal query option (PQO) enhancement

3. enhancement in memory management algorithms

4. dynamic caches uses common cache management framework (instead of static caches in 2000)

5. 3 snapshots

i) db snapshot

ii) snapshot & readcommited snapshots for row versioning

please add/correct if u have anything...ty

• Thanks for your reply.

I still feel that real cause of enhancement of Architecture of SQL Server 2005 is need to be find.

If anyone help in this regard, welcome.

• SQL 2000 all pages are verified for verifying the backup.

In 2005 it uses checksum

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply