Archive databas

• How to work-around the message "One of the data files is too large to be stored inside a .cab file" when trying to archie a database ?

• See KB 312399 helps.

• This article is about using the command prompt for archiving.

It works for my small databases, but it still does not work for my one big database.

When I run msmdarch from the command line, I don't get any error message, but the .cab file is not written (for smaller databases it works)

When I try to make an archive from within Analysis Manager; I get the message 'One of the data files is too large to be stored inside a .cab file"

I did not find anything on that topic in the mentioned article

• ARe you using AS 2000 or Olap Services (ie SQL 7)? 

THese two KB articles (303415, 249698) refer to your problem and offer a work around if your one file is too large, ie backup using another backup utility (make sure you back up the repos also).  This really only works is you're moving full environments aound or for backup and restore purposes.

Just out of interest, note the statement "...If a data, map, partition, dimension or other file in an OLAP database exceeds 2 * (10^9) bytes..." , are you using partitions for your data?  If not, doing so may help reduce the size of the individual cab files required which may then get you under the limit.

Good luck

Steve.

• "... another backup utility, such as Windows NT Backup, should be used to make backups of all files in the OLAP Services Data folder ... "

Back to the roots : just an ordinary file backup

Thanks anyway

• Like i said, depending on what you're looking to do, sometimes it's easiest to backup and restore, but if you are looking to use archive and restore, ensuring that you use partitions might get you under the 2gb limit per file (but won't help if you've got extremely large dim files)

Steve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply