Archiving Data

• How can we archive production database data? What is the procedure do we need to follow?

• Archiving means many things to many people, and could mean everything from backups stored in an offsite location, to partitioned views, or even something as simple as a history table or tables. What exactly are you trying to accomplish, and what are the business reasons for doing so? That will help us help you.

• One of the database is very huge and we want to archive some old data and shrink the database file. What sreps do we need to follow for this?

• I'm not trying to be nosy, but I still don't know the answers to the questions I asked. You say they are huge, but if you are planning on just storing them locally, I'm not sure that matters, for instance. What business reason is there for this archiving, and what resources do you have at your disposal (i.e. offsite storage, backup medium, SAN, etc.)?

Will you need them to be easily accessed on a moment's notice?

Will they need to remain completely online at all times, or is a quick restore good enough?

Can you define huge? That's a very relative term in the SQL Server world.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply