Are the posted questions getting worse?

• @Grant -- are you the same Grant Fritchey that wrote this review on this Garmin GPS unit in 2008? The profile there said something about sql server. If so have you been happy with it since?

Garmin-Colorado-Handheld-Topographic-Preloaded

I'm trying to decide on this one, The Garmin Colorado 400t or the Garmin 60CSX from the review there you've had both. Any issues or complaints after 2 years?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Steve Jones - Editor (4/30/2010)

Lynn,

I think it was OK. From a technical standpoint, it makes sense. The issue seems that some people don't understand log chaining, so things read funny to them. I think it's a good question.

Ummmm... log chaining... that's what you do with a tractor to get firewood out of the woods easily... 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I've seen a couple incidents of plagiarism lately on different sites. Not all from this site, but a few places that have copied info from MSDN/Technet, or other blogs.

It's a constant battle. I had an article submitted that also sounded a little to formal for the author. I google'd it to find a copy on an MVP's blog.

• Steve Jones - Editor (5/2/2010)

I've seen a couple incidents of plagiarism lately on different sites. Not all from this site, but a few places that have copied info from MSDN/Technet, or other blogs.

It's a constant battle. I had an article submitted that also sounded a little to formal for the author. I google'd it to find a copy on an MVP's blog.

That's a bit brazen.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

I've seen a couple incidents of plagiarism lately on different sites. Not all from this site, but a few places that have copied info from MSDN/Technet, or other blogs.

I guess I don't understand why people would do such a thing especially in light of the fact that it's pretty easy to be found out thanks to search engines. I guess some folks were just brought up real close to the shallow end of the gene pool.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I think Paul wants to join the "world's worst procedure" competition... :-P.

I would have put some more BREAK / CONTINUE in it and maybe nested another cursor, but nice entry.

It's nice to know it can be done, anyway.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (5/3/2010)

I think Paul wants to join the "world's worst procedure" competition... :-P.

I would have put some more BREAK / CONTINUE in it and maybe nested another cursor, but nice entry.

I thought I'd got away with that.

• Paul White NZ (5/3/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (5/3/2010)

I thought I'd got away with that.

Couldn't figure out a way to get a cross apply in there? 😀

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Lynn Pettis (4/30/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (4/30/2010)

Lynn,

I think it was OK. From a technical standpoint, it makes sense. The issue seems that some people don't understand log chaining, so things read funny to them. I think it's a good question.

I guess I'm second guessing the question a bit. It made complete sense to me, but I wrote it. I really think it is a matter of comprehension, as some people simply took parts of the restore scenerio out of context, and then focused on that as the reason they answered the question wrong. Pointing the finger at that instead of realizing that they misunderstood the solution and accepting responsibility for getting it wrong.

Some who got it wrong have accepted that and have said the question was good and that they learned something. Those posts make me feel good, as that is the goal of the QotD. I guess I should focus more on those. 😉

I think that's a very good question of the day because of how it focuses on fundamental skills instead of obscure behaviors. Don't beat yourself up on it. The truth of the matter is, a healthy majority of our peers really don't know what they're doing. I see it every day at work, let alone out on the boards.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Trey Staker (4/30/2010)

@Grant -- are you the same Grant Fritchey that wrote this review on this Garmin GPS unit in 2008? The profile there said something about sql server. If so have you been happy with it since?

Garmin-Colorado-Handheld-Topographic-Preloaded

I'm trying to decide on this one, The Garmin Colorado 400t or the Garmin 60CSX from the review there you've had both. Any issues or complaints after 2 years?

Yep, that's me. I'm still using my 400t. It's got a couple of glitches that have shown up over the years. Every once in a long while it'll just turn off for no apparent reason. And once or twice it's locked up. Other than that though, my review stands. I just used it on Sunday while I was out walking the dog and exploring some new trails in the neighborhood. I wanted to know where I'd gone and how long I walked, and it came through, as usual.

That said, I loved the 60csx until it got stolen. So I can't knock it.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Whoa!

That's not something I've started doing at the Standard yet. Of course, the fact that I've only had to look at about 12 articles so far and all the authors have been known quantities sure made that a lot less a worry. I'm sure, assuming we keep the thing afloat, I'll have to worry about it in the future.

• Gianluca Sartori (5/3/2010)

I'm not sure. I was sitting in a class with Itzik when a co-worker and I started trying to write the worse possible procedure during a break. We were snickering to each other and Itzik over heard. We told him what we were up to and he sat down and wrote the most horrific code I've ever seen. It was pretty much a instant server lock. I wish I'd kept a copy because it was slick.

• Grant Fritchey (5/3/2010)

Gianluca Sartori (5/3/2010)

I'm not sure. I was sitting in a class with Itzik when a co-worker and I started trying to write the worse possible procedure during a break. We were snickering to each other and Itzik over heard. We told him what we were up to and he sat down and wrote the most horrific code I've ever seen. It was pretty much a instant server lock. I wish I'd kept a copy because it was slick.

It would be really interesting to see, it's a shame you didn't keep it. Best practices can be seen as avoiding worst practices and sometimes it's easier to get the point starting from the other end.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Worst practices can definitely be a better starting point somehow. At least you can point to something that they can see is a bad example.

• Do we need to draw a picture of what we are requesting?

Viewing 15 posts - 15,016 through 15,030 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply