Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - Editor (8/4/2010)

I vote no. I like my watch. I don't want to have to buy a new one that has 10 digits.

Plus I have this cool clock:

I have that same clock hanging in my office.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Stefan Krzywicki (8/4/2010)

mtillman-921105 (8/4/2010)

ALZDBA (8/4/2010)

GilaMonster (8/4/2010)

Jack Corbett (8/4/2010)

Probably the most complex SQL I've had to write. Too many OUTER JOINs (business requires this design), and then parameters that could turn the OUTER JOINs to INNER JOINs and may not be what the business wants in some cases.

Swap?

I got stuck this afternoon helping out with a query where I needed to add several columns that stored elapsed time.

Easy enough? Sure, except that the person who designed the database stored those elapsed times as the TIME datatype.

And you can't add two time columns. Makes sense, there's no meaning to 11am + 5pm. However in this case 11am meant 11 hours and 5pm meant 17 hours. Cue multiple conversions to datetime followed by DATEPART(mi,...) followed by DATEADD followed by a cast back to TIME.

and how do they store +24 hours in that time column ? (add an extra daycounter column ??) 😉

When can we convert to Metric Time?

Metric time really isn't all that farfetched! You'd have 10 hours in a day, 100 minutes in an hour and 100 seconds in a minute. The only adjustment that needs to to be made is to make the second a little longer than the second is now.

Wouldn't the seconds actually have to be shorter?

24 hr x 60 min x 60 sec = 86,400

10 hr x 100 min x 100 sec = 100,000

• Going back to a topic from a few days ago - here is a very pleasant post.

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic960157-1292-1.aspx#bm963812

Learn Extended Events

• Lynn Pettis (8/4/2010)

Stefan Krzywicki (8/4/2010)

ALZDBA (8/4/2010)

GilaMonster (8/4/2010)

Jack Corbett (8/4/2010)

Probably the most complex SQL I've had to write. Too many OUTER JOINs (business requires this design), and then parameters that could turn the OUTER JOINs to INNER JOINs and may not be what the business wants in some cases.

Swap?

I got stuck this afternoon helping out with a query where I needed to add several columns that stored elapsed time.

Easy enough? Sure, except that the person who designed the database stored those elapsed times as the TIME datatype.

And you can't add two time columns. Makes sense, there's no meaning to 11am + 5pm. However in this case 11am meant 11 hours and 5pm meant 17 hours. Cue multiple conversions to datetime followed by DATEPART(mi,...) followed by DATEADD followed by a cast back to TIME.

and how do they store +24 hours in that time column ? (add an extra daycounter column ??) 😉

When can we convert to Metric Time?

Metric time really isn't all that farfetched! You'd have 10 hours in a day, 100 minutes in an hour and 100 seconds in a minute. The only adjustment that needs to to be made is to make the second a little longer than the second is now.

Wouldn't the seconds actually have to be shorter?

24 hr x 60 min x 60 sec = 86,400

10 hr x 100 min x 100 sec = 100,000

It is certainly possible I have it wrong, I did the calculations years ago when I was bored in a meeting. You know the kind, has absolutely nothing to do with you or your work, but they want the whole department there?

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

I vote no. I like my watch. I don't want to have to buy a new one that has 10 digits.

Plus I have this cool clock:

Okay, looks like I'm getting a new clock for the office! :w00t:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• We have that clock in the kitchen in our house. People think it's funny.

And that we're geeks.

• I prefer a digital clock.

I once programmed one that would display the time in different formats: hex, binary, BCD, roman numerals, octal, and the good old base ten system.

The roman numeral version was fun.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (8/4/2010)

I prefer a digital clock.

I once programmed one that would display the time in different formats: hex, binary, BCD, roman numerals, octal, and the good old base ten system.

The roman numeral version was fun.

ThinkGeek has plenty of clocks along those lines.

Learn Extended Events

We have that clock in the kitchen in our house. People think it's funny.

And that we're geeks.

Bazinga! :exclamation:

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• mtillman-921105 (8/4/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (8/4/2010)

And that we're geeks.

No Bazinga for that one. It's true! 🙂

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

My supervisor at the university has a very irritating clock. No numbers on it, just lines to indicate the hours. That alone would be fine, except this clock runs anti-clockwise. Without numbers it's very hard to realise that.

My meetings with him are always from 10:30. Once, we'd been talking for a while, I looked up at the clock and panicked, thinking it was 12:40. It wasn't, it was 11:20.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Alvin Ramard (8/4/2010)

And that we're geeks.

No Bazinga for that one. It's true! 🙂

I believe it. I was just looking for an excuse to say "Bazinga!" :hehe:

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

• GilaMonster (8/4/2010)

My supervisor at the university has a very irritating clock. No numbers on it, just lines to indicate the hours. That alone would be fine, except this clock runs anti-clockwise. Without numbers it's very hard to realise that.

My meetings with him are always from 10:30. Once, we'd been talking for a while, I looked up at the clock and panicked, thinking it was 12:40. It wasn't, it was 11:20.

We have a similar clock in our party room - just with numbers. And there's a rule: If you can't tell the time you asked for a drink all you deserve is sparkling water! It's fun.

Before we moved the clock to the party room it was in our kitchen. But when our oldest started to learn the clock we decided to move it to a different place. It was just confusing her....

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Just made my first "real" forum post in awhile. Had to pick a thread where Mr. Celko has already weighed in. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic963903-391-1.aspx

Jack Corbett
    Consultant - Straight Path Solutions
    Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
    Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question

• Jack Corbett (8/4/2010)

Just made my first "real" forum post in awhile. Had to pick a thread where Mr. Celko has already weighed in. http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic963903-391-1.aspx

Then it looks like you went on a roll and posted another half-dozen posts (that I saw)!

Welcome back! :w00t:

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 17,101 through 17,115 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply